Chronograph.....?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Ok, I've now finally stepped into the 21st century and purchased a chronograph. Tired of doing the reverse math.

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Ballist ... hronograph

I will say Caldwell could have done a better job with the little instruction manual, but its together and functioning.
Now, needless to say, Google Play can sometimes be a pain in the ask with their passwords. After that fieasco :wall: , I was able to finally download the app to my cell and a tablet and get that working.

So....... before I start shoot'n through it, I've seen some of the setups some have made to protect the screens from sabots and the blast. Mind showing what and how you made yours????

Some of the guys on the smokeless areas responded and said to use Lexan.

IMG-1447.jpg

IMG-1445.jpg

I wonder if Jeff will notice :wink:

sabotloader said:

Nice that they make one for it. I spent $15 on the 12"x24" Lexan sheet, then cut it down the middle. Just heated it with a torch and let it bend on its own. I believe I'm good to go.
I am new to the phone/tablet thing, but finally got that straightened out and on both.

the first time I tried a sabot over a chrony I hit the wire holding the sun diffuser with the sabot. admittedly it was a sabot from a 300 win mag but I have not shot sabots over the chrony since.
this is my rig now-it sits beside the rifle with nothing down range to be hit. it is odd that it is not affected by the sabots but it catches all shots.

rporter said:
the first time I tried a sabot over a chrony I hit the wire holding the sun diffuser with the sabot. admittedly it was a sabot from a 300 win mag but I have not shot sabots over the chrony since.
this is my rig now-it sits beside the rifle with nothing down range to be hit. it is odd that it is not affected by the sabots but it catches all shots.

A little out of the CFO's budget for one of those. She'd push me down and make me eat dirt just for asking......

Chronograph or something that actually measures FPS is way more accurate than any estimation. You put some time and detail into your guard. I just bent some plexi over the front (Lexan is stronger), cut notches for the first two supports. On the back half I just wrap it in saran wrap.

sabotloader said:

I have this exact same model Chronograph, mine is a Piece of Junk, I trust the Numbers it gives, But when i turn the unit off and drive home, then turn the unit back on to review it, The numbers have changed??? Say shot No 1 read 1,345 fps, After turning the unit off and Driving home, Instead of 1,345 it might say 430 fps? This happened when it was Brand new, First use, So i was able to send the Unit back to Competition Electronics When it was stil Brand new and under Warranty, they supposedly replaced it with a New one, The new 1 does this Exact same Thing. I don’t believe they Replaced The first unit? Truth be known they tried it in their Shop and could not get it to do what i told them it was Doing, I am confident they Boxed it back up and sent it back to me, I wish i had Scribed my initials, or something hidden inside the Battery Compartment (anything to identify the original unit)

I don’t use a Chronograph all that often So this Thing Sat for well over a year, maybe 2 years before i got it back out to use it again, I was SHOCKED to find that this new unit (or supposedly a new unit) Did the EXACT same Number changing thing as the one they Supposedly Replaced. I contacted Competition Electronics by email and Spoke with a Guy by the name of Jim over this, He Claimed that i was the only one to of ever had this Problem? And of course my Unit was long out of Warranty.

Over my experience with Competition Electronics, and My conversation With Jim there, i would advise ANY other unit over this one! I will forward Jim a Copy of this, and Link to the Thread, See if he Responds?

Idaholewis said:
sabotloader said:

I have this exact same model Chronograph, mine is a Piece of Junk, I trust the Numbers it gives, But when i turn the unit off and drive home, then turn the unit back on to review it, The numbers have changed??? Say shot No 1 read 1,345 fps, After turning the unit off and Driving home, Instead of 1,345 it might say 430 fps? This happened when it was Brand new, First use, So i was able to send the Unit back to Competition Electronics When it was stil Brand new and under Warranty, they supposedly replaced it with a New one, The new 1 does this Exact same Thing. I don’t believe they Replaced The first unit? Truth be known they tried it in their Shop and could not get it to do what i told them it was Doing, I am confident they Boxed it back up and sent it back to me, I wish i had Scribed my initials, or something hidden inside the Battery Compartment (anything to identify the original unit)

I don’t use a Chronograph all that often So this Thing Sat for well over a year, maybe 2 years before i got it back out to use it again, I was SHOCKED to find that this new unit (or supposedly a new unit) Did the EXACT same Number changing thing as the one they Supposedly Replaced. I contacted Competition Electronics by email and Spoke with a Guy by the name of Jim over this, He Claimed that i was the only one to of ever had this Problem? And of course my Unit was long out of Warranty.

Over my experience with Competition Electronics, and My conversation With Jim there, i would advise ANY other unit over this one! I will forward Jim a Copy of this, and Link to the Thread, See if he Responds?

Sorry to here- I have two of them and can not say that I have seen the problem you are talking about. But, very seldom do it go back to do the review process that you are talking about. I record everything in a log as I am shooting. It sort of sounds like it gives you a visual recording of the shot and then after being turned off it comes back on reading meters rather than feet per second. There is a key stoke for this but I do not remember what it is and do not have a manual right now.

This is mine at work...

265-Misc-Pics.jpg

I'm liking the one I have so far. It does have the lighted shields which are not necessary to use, but indications are from what I read, that it gives a more accurate reading. The other thing I like about it, is that you can record your shots to either a cell phone or tablet and save them for future reference.

Made me a Hickory Box for mine. It sure works good. Keeps track of different strings, so i can clock different loads. Tells me the high, and low speeds in each string, calculates Standard Deviation, and average speed. Easy for me to delete strings or individual shots. Made in USA! After i get home i can call up all the data, and calculations, and make even more calculations, or take a nap.

IMG_3831.JPG

IMG_3832.JPG

IMG_3833.JPG

IMG_3834.JPG

I owned one of these many years ago on the Wa Coast and it was a great unit (Why i purchased this one) I even had the indoor lighting Kit for that one, We used it inside my House to test Arrow Velocity. This Unit has been a Piece of Junk from Day 1, The first time the issue happened i was Confused?? How can something Change numbers around all by itself when it is Turned off? Jim at Competition Electronics was ZERO Help. With Customer Service being TIP TOP on my Priority list when i make a Purchase, I won’t be having anymore dealings with Competition Electronics, Nor would i advise them to Anyone.

I will go out RIGHT NOW and try to get this on Video, This would be PERFECT to catch it FAIL on Camera!

First off, Sorry about the long video, I didn’t want to Edit anything out. As stated above the Problem with this Chronograph is after i have turned it off and Drove home, When i turn the unit back on to Review my Shot String the Numbers have MYSTERIOUSLY changed?? It doesn’t happen everytime, But it has done it Several times, 1 time is to many! This unit is a PIECE OF JUNK plain n Simple. It is stil like Brand new, Why bother taking a piece of junk like this out? This thing has done this from Day 1, Jim at Competition Electronics told me through an email that i was the only 1 that has ever had this problem, I took it as being called a Liar in a Polite Way, My last email to Jim was NOT a nice one :D I did email him a link to This. He will also get a Link to this Video :yeah:

[youtube]uq3l3i2i0vk[/youtube]

I remember reading in one manual that you should cover up some sensor (not sure which one) before turning the unit back on or it may read velocities from fluorescent lighting. Does your manual say anything about that? Maybe try covering the unit before turning it back on, see if it still shows wrong numbers.

I need to make a cover for my chrono, thanks for the ideas. I do like the Caldwell app, I like being able to make notes, save target pics, temp, pressure, etc. I need to get mine back out and play with it more.

mB4TZw6.jpg

rporter said:
.....it is odd that it is not affected by the sabots but it catches all shots......
When this clock was first available i nearly had to have it. However, i was worried that sabot would interfere with it working successfully, and never went for it. Saved me a pile of dinero it did. Now we learn that the machine works even with sabot. Good the one i have works, and is accurate. But...............What to do..........What to do??.................. :D

is it pretty neat to get a muzzle velocity and a 100 yd velocity on the same shot.

you see some odd things that makes you wonder every now and then. and the 100 y velocity does not always agree with the book

rporter said:
is it pretty neat to get a muzzle velocity and a 100 yd velocity on the same shot.

you see some odd things that makes you wonder every now and then. and the 100 y velocity does not always agree with the book

Shhhhh please stop.....I have two chronographs....I do not need a radar. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I HEARD BACK FROM Jim Bailey at Competition Electronics! He told me it has been 6 years since they Replaced this thing (Again, I don’t believe it was ever Replaced, i would bet BIG on it!) Jim told me they do repair on these things, And i could Send the POS Back and they would Fix it for a “Reasonable” Fee.

Now Remember, i already paid 119 Bucks for it New, And I have already Paid Shipping to Send it back to them 1 time When it was New over this issue. The unit they Sent back to me does the EXACT same thing the First one did (Because they didn’t replace the 1st one like Jim said they did) Now they Say i can send it back Again, Obviously on me, then pay a “Reasonable” Fee to get it fixed? LOL! I might have been Born at Night, But it wasn’t last night. This Company is Obviously more concerned about Making another dollar, And could care less about the Customer. Also remember, I spoke with this Jim Guy over this AGAIN a couple years ago, This is when he Called me a Liar in a polite Way. I even say in the Video that my Wife and i had Moved, Bought a Home, And this Chronograph has Just been Sitting on the Tripod.

If i owned a Business like this, and i seen 1 of my Units Malfunctioning like this 1 is doing, and now ON VIDEO, I WOULD WANT TO REPLACE THAT UNIT FOR THE CUSTOMER regardless of time!!! The unit is BAD Plain n simple, and it has been from the very beginning!!

Latest posts

Back