Cleaning a knight mountaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattledog

Reaction score
Hi guys, any tips on cleaning a mountaineer? I hunt mostly coastal saltwater marsh for deer. It took me a solid 90 minutes to really clean the rifle. I was unable to fire the rifle and made the mistake pulling the charge then cleaning the bore. I wrapped the scope in plastic wrap to avoid bore cleaner and powder on the optics. What a pita! I clean my rifles after each trip fired or unfired to avoid rust. Any tips to avoid powder and cleaner on the scope or trigger assembly while cleaning? Otherwise the rifle will find a new home.

All my ML's get a set of Warne QD rings. Just remove the scope when you clean, replace it when you'receive done. If you replace the same way everytime, it will not noticeably change POI. As for the trigger assembly, I can't help as I don'the own a Knight, but their are many experienced Knight owners here that can.

Just cuz you are hunting the saltwater marsh, doesn't necessarily mean your gun has had salt spray over it. If you are hunting for a few days straight no need to remove the charge & clean in between the days of hunting. If you shoot the gun then it may require cleaning that evening, depending on the powder used.

What powder or pellets do you use?

In general, M-Ls need a handful of more care than the average centerfire. Shooting Blackhorn 209 powder eases some of the daily cleaning after the gun is shot. One can go a few days.

As far as cleaning a Knight. I have a small socket wrench ready to go. I take the breech plug out, take the bolt apart & go to town. Like a lot of things, once you set your mind to it, with a few of the proper tools, not a big deal.

I'd start with consideration on leaving the gun 'charged' between hunts, when it hasn't been fired. That alone could save you time. Yes, if out in the rain, it may need a full breakdown even if not shot.

Thanks for the help. I hunt by canoe so everything does get salt spray. I have been doing this for a few years. This type or hunting is very hard on equipment. On blued muzzleloaders I have gotten less than a season before the muzzleloader needed reblueing. I use BH209. Sounds like my cleaning was normal, it just takes awhile.

Thanks, I am going to send out my blued Omega X7 for some type of coating or treatment. I was considering nitride treatment or the black ice. I have heard very good reviews on the black ice.

Nitride is tougher and it includes the bore. BlackIce is just external.

Since Knight used Dyna-Tek in the bore you may want to talk to the company about that in regards to a Nitride treatment. It may create a problem for the treatment process.

Cattledog said:
Thanks, I am going to send out my blued Omega X7 for some type of coating or treatment. I was considering nitride treatment or the black ice. I have heard very good reviews on the black ice.

The nitride treatment is harder than nails - very good process...

I think you're trying too hard :wink:

Grab a spray can of Ballistol, and a bag of patches. Here's what I do but keep in mind I'm just some guy on a message board. I pull the breech plug and bolt, take the firing pin / spring assembly from your bolt, lay the plug and bolt body on a cloth or paper towel and spray them down good.

For the bore, I spray down the inside with Ballistol and run a few soaked patches through it. If it's been shot I use a brush and make 5 or 6 passes..other than this I do a few wet patches and then dry until they come out clean. You can use a wet patch to rub all the metal surfaces, and then dry it with a cloth after. No need to take the scope off, just close the lens covers and rub everything down. Do the same with the plug and bolt. Re-assemble the bolt afterwards, and wipe the plug down real good. I follow up the plug with a blast of compressed air. I recently learned the hard lesson of firing a few caps the night before a hunt and loading it the firs time after cleaning. It's an easy, quick process really....and neat.

Thanks everyone, I am pretty much following what everyone is saying.

The cleaning out loose powder is really the issue. The powder ends up all over the scope, breech plug housing threads or in the trigger assemble when the bullet and sabot are pushed out. I might look for a thin plastic tube to slide into the bolt housing to use when cleaning. I think I will keep the Knight for long range hunting. Around here there are only a few places to shoot over two hundred yards for deer, but the areas look very productive. All of these places are on hillsides looking down into a saltwater marsh. I ranged a doe the other day at 233 yard using my inexpensive mil dot scope. I think a new scope is in order and the Knight the right muzzleloader for that type of hunt. Thanks for the help!

Cool! Anyone know what the threads are on a knight breech plug?

Mountaineer is 20 TPI.. not quite sure on circumference? Im guessing 5/8"
something specific to that Breechplug, sealing on all surfaces would be optimal, second plan may be one of the plastic variety with a gasket
bore-cleaning-basics-006.jpg

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/bore-cleaning-basics-1.php

Just bought the remington breech cleaning tube from midway 7.99 is not much risk. I tried calling Knight and no answer. I did find that there was an industry standard of 5/8-18 tpi for breech plugs. Knight and a couple of other companies used the standard at one point. I will report fit of the tube when it comes in. Thanks!!

Cattledog said:
Just bought the remington breech cleaning tube from midway 7.99 is not much risk. I tried calling Knight and no answer. I did find that there was an industry standard of 5/8-18 tpi for breech plugs. Knight and a couple of other companies used the standard at one point. I will report fit of the tube when it comes in. Thanks!!
Knight Breech plugs are 11/16 x 20tpi. The older 5/8 plugs were used in some of the older .54 cal rifles and some early 45 & 50s too, but those took the slotted tool. I have a new Ultra lite and it uses the same BP as your Mountaineer.

Thanks for the information. The Knight and TC matched on threads and over all diameter by micrometer. I hope this is a solution for several of my muzzleloaders.

Cattledog said:
Just bought the remington breech cleaning tube from midway 7.99 is not much risk.

Did Midway say that had it in stock when you ordered?

Just curious as I just looked and saw it was on backorder. Not sure what size the 700 ML BP is. Maybe one of the guys that have one can chime in. If that works it would be a handy little item. I use the same type thing on all my Rimfire and centerfires.

Yes it was in stock. I should have it later this week. TC made one too. Old part number 7770, Dong's guns has them in stock. I am not sure if they would work well for the Knight.

Cattledog said:
Yes it was in stock. I should have it later this week. TC made one too. Old part number 7770, Dong's guns has them in stock. I am not sure if they would work well for the Knight.
Let us know if it fits, I am very curious. I think that could be handy. I don't often push a charge out but have done so. I just usually push a patch though from the muzzle, then use a round brush up in the threads to get the larger loose stuff out. Then use a damp patch then dry patches on that same brush.

The tube came in and I can say I am not impressed. For $8 you get a threaded thin walled plastic tube, kinda cheap.

I have yet to fit to my Knight, but it does fit my Omega. Since it fits my Omega, it will fit Encores too. Hunting season is winding down here for me. I should be cleaning the knight in the next couple of weeks or sooner if a nice deer walks by while hunting. I am about 99% sure it will fit the Knight just fine. I will update once the fit is verified.

Latest posts

Back