Cleaning a muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sidelocks. As I have said, been out of the game for a few years so I'm wondering if things has changed, such as cleaning solution, equipment, process, etc.

I am well acclimated on how to disassemble it for cleaning.
Water. Maybe add a couple drops of soap, but just plain water will clean up any type powder you will use in a side lock.

I've found after soapy water Awesome Orange (now $1.25 @ Dollar Store) cleans out all grease and oil. Finish off with your favorite gun oil and you're ready to shoot again.

I've kept water away from my non ML guns and now you guys are telling me it's the way to go for ML's. Its scary. I just bought a Knight Vision and it says to take it apart and wash it. Do you always take your apart or do you mainly worry about the barrel and breach plug on something like this Vision?

And what about the second part of my question on do you guys take your guns apart to do this and clean even the trigger area every time and so on? Sounds like I need to put a fold down cleaning table in my shower and just clean us both at the same time? That's my easiest place to get a lot of hot water.

I've kept water away from my non ML guns and now you guys are telling me it's the way to go for ML's. Its scary. I just bought a Knight Vision and it says to take it apart and wash it. Do you always take your apart or do you mainly worry about the barrel and breach plug on something like this Vision?

Some owners manuals states to use hot water.

I already posted the method I recently adopted to clean my ML in another post.

This guy uses the same basic method, just like many others.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...753e189a7f2bff8b734bb1e263d0c93f&action=click

Thanks for that link. I did do a search for clean ml on here and this was the first to pop up. Guess I should have read all the results first. The video does help me with the fear of water a bit now.

And what about the second part of my question on do you guys take your guns apart to do this and clean even the trigger area every time and so on? Sounds like I need to put a fold down cleaning table in my shower and just clean us both at the same time? That's my easiest place to get a lot of hot water.
On my MLs that ive got the breech to seal up 100%, i only take them apart occasionally to clean the trigger. If a breech starts to show signs of leakage it gets torn down and fully cleaned, trigger, scope and base, barrel. Some guns cant really get dirt and gases into the trigger, or at least its very difficult, like on a bolt action. Break actions can leak a lot into the trigger tho. But they can be really easy to seal up, too. Easier than fixing a leaky bolt gun imho.

Back