Cleaning Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck

Reaction score
Is the solution of window cleaner, Iso Alcohol and hydrogen peroxide sufficient for an end of season clean up? I am using it during my range sessions one wet patch, both sides worked back and forth , then a dry patch same way. I do it after shooting until I get a clean patch, then dry patch. But before I put the gun away for a month or more is it good enough? Do I need to bore brush w/copper brush? I know to light oil after any cleaning and i use REM oil for that purpose/ I have a SS composite TC pro rig.

Cleaning

While I prefer the hot water and Dawn (dishwater soap) method, I use Birchwood Casey SHEATH as the last step. Its a very thin liquid rust preventative 'wax' (so says the can) and I have not had any rust/problems whatsoever.

After many rounds I swab with Kroil oil,brush it out with a brass brush,swab clean,swab with JB bore polish(10 strokes or so),swab it out,apply more Kroil oil & let it soak a few hours or overnight. Swab dry until it comes out clean,and finally apply Rem Oil for storage. You will be surprised how dirty that last swabing session is! Where does it all hide???

I would always use a bore brush just to make sure that there is no fouling left along the edge of the rifling. Even a little left until the next season could allow corrosion to begin in that area.
I agree on the use of Sheath as a final step - though the last can I bought, they had changed the name (can't remeber what it is), but the can said, "Formerly known as Sheath".

I clean my rifle with a mixture of windshield washer and gas line antifreeze, and patch get out clean after 4 to 5 patches then pass the Bronze brush and I have to pass 4 to 5 other patches to get it clean as new ,even under light.
I passed a tripple777 lubed patch and then a dry patch and the dry patch get as dirty as the beginning,had to pass many patches then try a new t7 lube patch,then a dry patch,patch came out clean,pass a wet patch then a dry patch ,then finished with a oil saturated patch,then a dry patch and its good to be put aside for winter.
I presume that tripple7 lube wich is like borebutter,and acted as a deep borecleaner in the groove,just my 2 cents.
Taureau noir

Latest posts

Back