Cleaning your Muzzleloader Bore butter? Tc #13?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhunt4work

Reaction score
In one of the subject postings someone said to stay away from Bore Butter and TC #13 cleaner. What do you all recommend?

Hot Soapy Water.are 50/50 mix of Windex and Rubbing Alcohol both work just fine,then just dry good and a lite coat of oil.
dhunt4work said:
In one of the subject postings someone said to stay away from Bore Butter and TC #13 cleaner. What do you all recommend?

cleaning

I used that 50/50 mix and it was cheap and great. Also take "damP' Patches into the woods w/ me of this. My friends are jumping on the bandwagon, we tested clean using the cTC, Hoppes products vs, 50/50 mix and I was right w/ them on the clean dry patch in the end.

I am not going to say... do not use bore butter. Too many people use or have used it with good results. But there are just as many or perhaps more that used it and decided that they did not like the effect of the Thompson Center Bore Butter Wax product.

If you do not apply bore butter correctly, next year you will have a rusted barrel. If you do not clean the bore butter out of the bore before each use, and let it build up as in "seasoning a bore," your accuracy will suffer. Why would you fill the rifling grooves of the barrel with wax, and then expect rifle VS Smooth bore accuracy.

T/C #13 is nothing more then natural water with a natural soap, and it will not protect your barrel from rust. It will clean fowling out of the barrel, but then so will your dish water if you want to save that and put it on a patch.

I like to water bath the barrels. perhaps a solvent patch or two, then an alcohol/car windshield washer patch, then some dry patches and end the barrels protection with a quality gun oil like Birchwood Casey Sheath.

Regardless of your cleaning procedure, you must be absolutely CERTAIN that all water is removed from the barrels spores before you seal the barrel with oil.
Who knows what trapped water in your barrel can do? :shock:

I clean with Windex, dry patch, alcohol patch, dry patch, let it set for a few minutes, THEN oil with Break Free. But that's just me... :)

Latest posts

Back