Cleaning your Revoler the easy way

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
A while back I had been using these and never took pictures. So here we go! Birchwood Casey Swauber Applicators. They are nice and snug inside my Traditions 1860 Army .44cal and I can FULLY clean the cylinder, inside and out with the swauber. Remove the nipples and you can get all inside of the cut out ( Use Q tip for the nipple threads inside the cylinder) and the cylinder is completely cleaned. When it comes time to dry and oil, Use a fresh swauber to get it done fast and easy.

For getting inside the barrel where rammer is, along with the wedge key, the swauber easily gets inside there snugly and gets it fully clean. I wish had I found these years ago when I had my first .44cal BP Revolver.

They also work excellent in my brothers 1851 Navy .36cal revolver. Nice and snug, they catch all the fouling and swab it away.

If you use products like bore butter or frog lube, heat the metal up, apply a small amount to a fresh clean swauber and lube all the parts properly.

To get your moneys worth, wash the main cleaner swauber with hot soapy water, hang dry it and with a magic marker, use sandwitch bags and label each swauber so you don't waste them on just one cleaning!

I wish they made them long enough to reach completely through my 1860's 8" barrel!

IMG_4755_zps71iltfzo.jpg

IMG_4759_zpsfmulok4y.jpg

IMG_4760_zpsgq9ssj3g.jpg

If you're gonna use hot soapy water to clean out the materials after use, why not simply keep using the traditional soapy water and hot water rinse.  Over 50 years, and have never had any issues with the 'ol fashun' way.  Patches on a correctly fit jag work equally as well.

Easiest way to clean a BP revolver is to field strip it and take the wooden handles off.  Run a patch with solvent in each chamber and down the barrel.  Put the metal in the dishwasher with the barrel and cylinder vertical.  Run it through a cycle and take it out while still hot.  Spray the parts with WD40 and wipe dry, then spray it with RemOil.  Reassemble.  The hot water under pressure gets the pistol clean as a whistle.  You can run the pistol through a cycle with a load of dirty dishes if you want.  I live alone so maybe this isn't for everyone.   graybeard

no dish washers in these here parts for me. Thats more work IMO as you only take to take them completely apart a few times a year. The last time I did mine, there wasn't any fouling inside the frame to make tearing her apart worthwhile.

You only need to fieldstrip the revolver.  Barrel, cylinder and frame.    graybeard

Where do ya find this Birchwood Casey swab stuff? I'd like to try it. Man, all these different cleaning ideas are sure interesting.

Latest posts

Back