Colorado Bear Hunting Might Be Getting Better

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
DENVER (AP) — The season for hunting bears in Colorado may change under a bill being considered by lawmakers. The sponsor is worried about the animals' increasing population and interactions with humans.
A bill up for a House committee vote Monday would shorten bear-hunting season by three months. But hunting dates would be focused on summer and fall months. The legislation would also make it legal to use liquid scent as bait.
The bill sponsor is Republican Rep. Yeulin Willett. He says the use of scent will help hunters get close enough to bears to make sure they're not killing mothers. He also says allowing bear hunting during August, September, and October would be more productive for controlling the bear population.
The current bear-hunting season runs from Sept. 2 through February.

Observing bear over bait gives time to help determine sex, which may be difficult, but the more views the better.
A bear (sow) may come in to bait and several minutes or more may pass before a cub or two will appear. Observing and waiting will lower the take of sows with cubs.
Scent alone without bait may not hold a bear in the area long.

makes sense. July/august is when they are most active down by us, especially in the trash.

I like the idea of being able to hunt in August. Then I can catch them eating berries. By Sept the berries are gone in the spots I know about.

Plus, no other hunts will be going on the first few weeks, so more solitude.

I just read this bill is on hold while the DOW studies the situation. They need to do something, because bear population is way up right now.

Hunters may not like it because the hides won't be as good before cold weather.

the hides should be better than warmer climate areas with bear....it gets cool in the mountains where Pete is ....

The bears down here seldom see a day below freezing. Their hair is ratty.

I killed a bear in Montana a couple of weeks after most had denned up. It had a real good coat.

That only applies to trophy hunters Bob. I could care less about the hide or head, except I need to bring them out for inspection.

The scent idea is a good one. Would that allow a burn?

My brother brings bears close in new areas with a grease and/or sugar burn. He uses an old 2-gallon pot he got at a yard sale.

I eat a lot of peanut butter and honey sandwiches while hunting for bear.

I'm not baiting warden. I just eat a lot.

when we bear hunt here we mix up a spray...its concentrated apple juice in the can and molasses mix in a small spray bottle...we just spray the area we are going to sit in and it does smell for a long time...I was walking to my friends stand 2 years ago and I was 50 yards away and all I could smell was sweet apples...so it works...we can bait prior to the season but not during so have to rely and some attractant and cover scent...they have a good nose ...I guess you could mix honey with the apple juice also..in Muley's case some berry juice....and use a drag cloth on the boots with peanut butter...

I'm not sure the law they're thinking about here is any kind of food scent. Tree huggers go nuts over that idea.

what else would you use for a cover scent...skunk..fox...they stink bad....and they do sell fruit cover scents ..a cover scent is a cover scent..its not a food item for baiting...the only food item for a bear would be you..lol....our state you can use anything for a attractant scent or cover scent as long as not edible for bait..and we have some screwy laws...

Most bear hunters prefer to hunt early spring when in search of the best coats for mounting or rug.

When it comes to eating the meat it is personal preference. The meat is leaner in the spring. I think bear lard makes the best pie crusts, from a spring or fall bear. :)

Muley said:
He says the use of scent will help hunters get close enough to bears to make sure they're not killing mothers. He also says allowing bear hunting during August, September, and October would be more productive for controlling the bear population.
The current bear-hunting season runs from Sept. 2 through February.
Comments like these kinda confuse me?  If they want to have less bears wouldn't it make sense to kill more females since they are the ones making more bears?

Muley said:
I consider bear meat great dog food. He loves it.
If you don't want them for a hide or mount and don't want to eat them... what's the allure to hunting them?  Just for the challenge and dog food?  Just curious.  Most guys kill bears so they can get a nice rug made.  My pointers eat lots of game meat when I got more than I can eat.  I would definitely be feeding most of a black bear to my dogs too.

You don't want to kill a sow with cubs. The cubs won't survive.

Yes, a bear hunt for me is for the challenge, the love of the hunt, and dog food. My dog eats as much meat as I do, so not having to buy it for him is quite a savings.

He gets the bear. I get the deer/elk.

The law in Colorado states all big game must be prepared for human consumption. I've talked to several DWMs about feeding game meat to my hounds. All said its not legal. But the way the law reads, it only says it has to be "prepared" for human consumption, not eaten by humans. Fortunately, I have an unlimited supply of Bison so the pups eat pretty good here. 
 As for bear hides, even our horrible hides here in CO. are worth a couple hundred dollars if you spend a few minutes skinning them correctly. Skulls are worth a few bucks too. Better then throwing them away.

The meat is prepared for human consumption. I cook it, and could eat it if I liked it. My dog is my whole family, and nobody is going to tell me I can't feed my family what I hunt for.

I have a friend who's a full blooded Cheyenne. He gets all my hides/heads. I never said I throw them away. I don't hunt to make money, so i'd never sell anything. Including antlers.

Back