Colorado hunting season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's easy for me Marty. I live at 8000ft and can go up to 11,000-12,000ft and not feel it.
As an "Easterner" BP Hunting mule deer or elk in CO is always on my bucket
"wish-list". I worry however about that dream hunt going sour with an adverse higher altitude acclimation issue.
I'm 63. I wonder whether "extra" physical preparation/conditioning for a CO hunt would "compensate" for the higher CO altitude exertion...or would simply spending a few days in CO to acclimate prior to a hunt accomplish the same objective?
Thoughts anyone?

Come a few days before the hunt. Oatmeal, bananas, staying hydrated helps the altitude sickness. #1 thing... pack light! I don't carry backpacks anymore.

By the way FG, do you have any plans for that muley rack?
I always wondered about mounting a buck that's still in velvet.

I did a skull cap. Just cut it with a saws all then poured salt all around the skull cap and the base of the antlers. I'll let it dry in the shop over the months then bring it in and mount it on the wall. I wanted to do a euro but its just so much darn work. Just got to let the velvet dry out.

Come a few days before the hunt. Oatmeal, bananas, staying hydrated helps the altitude sickness. #1 thing... pack light! I don't carry backpacks anymore.
Thanks for the advice. I've made a conscious effort over the years to keep the contents of my day backpack to 10 pounds or less. Since you don't carry a backpack perhaps I need to re-evaluate why I'm still carrying one.

My knife is always on my hip, i usually carry one water bottle with me. I always have a firestarter on my hip as well.

The heavy back pack is strapped on the atv if i need more water or rope, etc. Its basically the mobile camp when out in the mountains.

No need to keep the house and kitchen sink strapped onto you. Where I hunt, I do not have to hike in miles at a time. I know where the elk love to hole up during the heat. Deer as well.

Getting in good shape will help. As Jon said, get here a few days early so you can stay at a couple altitudes getting acclimated. Drink a lot of water. I don't carry a lot of water. There's a lot of creeks where I hunt, so I use a filter bottle. That way I have all I want to drink and it's nice and cold too. Don't drink any caffeine at high altitude. It will dehydrate you. I eat a lot of fruit and protein bars when hunting. Try not to get excited at night. You'll need the sleep.

Other than that. Have fun!

I'm like Pete and Jonathan living at high altitude and hunting at 8,500 to 9,000 feet. There's enough game that I don't need to go to the 10,000 or 11,000 peaks. :cool:

Back