Colorado muzzloader dilemma

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigterp

Reaction score
I searched & read any thread I could find on the topic & appreciate the insight. So being new here and soaking it all up I can see that this is quite the rabbit hole & I’m going to end up w/ a few custom muzzloaders. I thought I had one ( a tc encore w/ a .45 cal Bergara ) how naive! My main hunting ML is an Original TC Omega .50 ... All that to give some background. I committed to a Colorado muzzy elk hunt (in 2023) without knowing about, no scope, loose powder & projectiles. So here I am & I have plenty of time to prepare. My initial thoughts were that I’d pick up a new Tc impact or maybe another used Omega for the task. Initially I think max shooting distance would be 100-125yds with open sights??? So knowing nothing of propellants, projectiles & factory sight setups any insight is welcome. Thanks in advance!

My main hunting ML is an Original TC Omega .50 ...

What's wrong with using that gun? A good bullet choice is a 300gr Thor bullet and 100 gr of BH 209. You also have a choice of a lot of lead conicals like a NoExcuse.

The biggest problem will be getting a TC to shoot a conical.

What's wrong with using that gun? A good bullet choice is a 300gr Thor bullet and 100 gr of BH 209. You also have a choice of a lot of lead conicals like a NoExcuse.

The biggest problem will be getting a TC to shoot a conical.
Considered that as well, just didn’t want to strip the scope during my MD muzzloader season to play with it. But it’s definitely an option.......

Shooting a conical in a TC rifle is easily handled by using a sub base instead of a wad.

The Omega rifles here work very good using them sub base.

There is currently listed in the classifieds a Colorado Legal rifle perfectly set up for your hunt.
Now that’s a perfect solution! My wife is a school teacher & we’re always squeakin through the summer (as it coincides with kids back to college/tuition) if that gun is still available in a couple weeks I’m your man!

Back