Colorado Version Knight Ultra Lite - Configuration Question’s (Appreciate the patience)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmc22

Reaction score
Good evening Folks,

I’m close to pulling the trigger on the Knight Ultra Lite (Colorado Version) as I want it tapped for sights and to have the Williams Sights come with it.

I’ve been reading a lot about the breach plugs.

#1 - Should I purchase the Full Plastic Jacket Plug? (I’m guessing this is more weather resistant but comes at the cost of primer blowback?)

#2 - Should I purchase the Lehigh Plug with a Vent Liner or go with the Bestill? (I don’t know much about either of these other than seeing them referenced a lot).

#3 - I have the option in New Hampshire to use a 45 cal. Should I go this route?

If one wishes to shoot jacketed bullets without using sabot, a 45 caliber rifle is a good choice, because there is more 45 caliber bullets available than 50 caliber bullets.

Shooting jacketed bullets without sabot does require one to size them to fit the barrel. This requires a sizing die, and a press.

One may have great fun sizing bullets, and shooting them without a sabot.

If one wishes to shoot bullets in sabot, a 50 caliber rifle is a good choice, because one will use the more available 45 caliber bullets.

The only reason I didnt go with Bestills plug was the cost. I just couldn't afford it at the time. I do really like the Lehigh plugs and adapters for bare primers. You gotta have the FPJ bolt to use the adapter tho. Imho its a way better option than the Knight bare primer. Ive not have a water intrusion on either gun.

@michiganmuzzy The version I want that has the Williams sights and is tapped for a scope base mean I have to accept the bare primer. In that case should I spring for the Bestill?

Usmc22, you could do what I did and buy the FPJ bolt and and then get the Lehigh adapter and plug. I have not seen or used the Bestill setup. I hope someone with it will chime in and maybe post some pics of it.
I was lucky and found an FPJ conversion bolt kit on a dusty shelf at a small gun shop, got it super cheap. I also have the Knight bare primer bolt but I believe that it has a burr in it that makes it a pita to get the primers out after shooting. And i bought a bolt right from Knight, too. So all together Im sure i spent more than just sending my guns to Bestill to have his setup.

@michiganmuzzy, I didn’t realize I’d have to send the gun out. I guess I’ll do the FPJ and Lehigh. It’s just an itch I’m looking to scratch sooner than later.

well lol, hopefully it takes a while because I’m sitting on a few center fires right now. Enjoying the new sport and additional hunting opportunities though.

Very much agree! Been looking at a Ruger Gunsite Scout. I don’t need it, but being left handed its kind of a rare gun I can get truly left handed.

@michiganmuzzy, I didn’t realize I’d have to send the gun out. I guess I’ll do the FPJ and Lehigh. It’s just an itch I’m looking to scratch sooner than later.
i take it you’re are a veteran, don’t buy it till veterans day, Knight usually has a 40 percent off sale for veterans for 24 hours, hopefully they do it again this year, good luck ,and thanks for your service

Very much agree! Been looking at a Ruger Gunsite Scout. I don’t need it, but being left handed its kind of a rare gun I can get truly left handed.
Yeah i never looked that close at the leftie guns. I see now that many are just lefty stocks on righty guns. Look at some of the White MLs. They were set up like lefty guns, bolt on the left side. But i dont know if you could get a lefty stock for them.

LOL! Yeah, I've got a Knight Disc Extreme on order that I'm going to have to explain to the wife at some point. At least I can say that I got it "on sale". 😁

A gun “on sale” seldom computes to “need” with women. Her clothes, purses and/or shoes on sale will however without exception fall under the heading of “needed”.

I'm not sure which bolt comes with the Western Version, Sabotloader can tell you that. If it don't have the cut out in the face for the 209's then you would need that bolt body too, or get the FPJ bolt as mentioned and get the Lehigh adapter. I have a 50cal UL with the current Knight Bolt that has the primer cut out in the face and got a plug from Bestill soon after he came out with the first one. It is a great Breech plug, heads and tails better than the Knight BP. The plug I got from him has a tungsten carbide bushing in it and that replaces the Ventliner, so no ventliners to replace. The Carbide bushing will last the life of the rifle for me. Bestill has a couple options if I remember right so you could PM him to see what they are and cost. His BP is cut for your rifle so there is no blow back with it. The Lehigh plugs are a great option. Some like like the way you can put the primer in it over the Current Knight bare primer bolt. I have no issue with the putting the primer in my Knight Bare Primer bolt. I see the only down side to a Lehigh Plug is that you need to replace the ventliner once in a while, but is only a minor down side. I am pretty sure that if you decided to go with the FPJ bolt now and the Lehigh adapter and plug that if you later decided to go with a Bestill Plug it is no issue to use that FPJ bolt and adapter with it. Personally if I were buying a new Knight I would swap the plug with one of Bestills plugs right off.

A gun “on sale” seldom computes to “need” with women. Her clothes, purses and/or shoes on sale will however without exception fall under the heading of “needed”.
So very true....lol!

Ive got a Bestill plug using the FPJ bolt and the Lehigh FPJ adapter. Works great.

All you do with the Lehigh adapter is remove the bolt from the rifle. Insert the adapter just like its a FPJ. Put the bolt back in the rifle.....Done. It stays in the bolt unless you remove the bolt from the rifle. It wont fall out. Just drop a bare primer in the adapter and close the bolt to fire. After firing just tilt the rifle to the side and it will fall out if you got good headspace.

If head space is too loose you just recock the rifle and fire the SPENT primer again. The anvil sometimes will back out of the primer cup and wont come out. Refiring pushes it back in. This can happen with the adapter or bare primer bolt. Get a .003-.005 primer crush and it is basically perfect. Fired primers will just fall out by just tilting the rifle.

Both plugs are BEAUTIFULLY machined from 17-4 SS. The Bestill plug is about $80 iirc DIY. If you can take some basic measurements it is a DIY job. Much easier if you already get some primer crush and already have a bare primer plug. Otherwise i think its was under $150 to have Bestill do it......This time of the year though he is probably swamped and hunting.

Last edited:
I'm not sure which bolt comes with the Western Version, Sabotloader can tell you that. If it don't have the cut out in the face for the 209's then you would need that bolt body too, or get the FPJ bolt as mentioned and get the Lehigh adapter. I have a 50cal UL with the current Knight Bolt that has the primer cut out in the face and got a plug from Bestill soon after he came out with the first one. It is a great Breech plug, heads and tails better than the Knight BP. The plug I got from him has a tungsten carbide bushing in it and that replaces the Ventliner, so no ventliners to replace. The Carbide bushing will last the life of the rifle for me. Bestill has a couple options if I remember right so you could PM him to see what they are and cost. His BP is cut for your rifle so there is no blow back with it. The Lehigh plugs are a great option. Some like like the way you can put the primer in it over the Current Knight bare primer bolt. I have no issue with the putting the primer in my Knight Bare Primer bolt. I see the only down side to a Lehigh Plug is that you need to replace the ventliner once in a while, but is only a minor down side. I am pretty sure that if you decided to go with the FPJ bolt now and the Lehigh adapter and plug that if you later decided to go with a Bestill Plug it is no issue to use that FPJ bolt and adapter with it. Personally if I were buying a new Knight I would swap the plug with one of Bestills plugs right off.
So it is essentially a bare primer BP, custom made to your gun, with a carbide bushing instead of a ventliner. And it works with either the Lehigh adapter in an FPJ bolt or the Knight bare primer bolt, whichever one you send in to be fitted for. But it is made for THAT one bolt in THAT one gun, right? You cant switch bolts or guns.

Latest posts

Back