Confession on 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

long shot

Reaction score
I must admit that I am starting to get hung up on BH29 and heavy conicals. Once you get the hang of it . It works very good

45cal said:
I must admit that I am starting to get hung up on BH29 and heavy conicals. Once you get the hang of it . It works very good

I just bought my first inline CVA muzzleloader and after much research went with BH209 powder and Barnes TEZ bullets. Less than 1” grouping at 100 yards and cleaning is a breeze. Couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have messed a little with Blackhorn 209 and heavy lead . It seems like it would be the cats a$$ . 50 grains by weight pushed a 530 grain bullet 1275 fps . Less mass weight( added powder) means less recoil . You can clean or not clean between shots depending on what your gun likes . No more water based cleaners for clean up . Even if your gun does leak no more stuck breech plugs . Excellent powder .

Down side . It's more expensive.

Dougs136Schwartz said:

I have no problem paying for pleasure. The plusses this powder offers by far out-weigh the extra cost in my opinion.

Ive been saying it for a couple years. Lots of people didnt seem to think it would work well. I think its great because you can use far less BH209 and still have a very effective load. I can say for sure that using it in a Knight with the Lehigh plug it appears to be very dependable too. More than likely any ML with a well designed breach plug will yield similar results. I shot quite a few in my Savage 45 with a OEM plug but never tested it when it got really cold here.

Conical sized to .001-.002 over lands and a veggie wad over the powder. Seems to work every time for me.

The only negative besides price of Bh 209 is you need a tight fitting conical/sabot to get max performance. I remember one time at a public range I went there to try some Thors. A couple of guys were interested in a muzzleloader and were watching me. I loaded the BH and then the Thor. The Thor was too loose of a fit. I was worried it wouldn't fire off. So, with the two guy watch with a lot of interest I pulled the trigger. Sure enough, the BH didn't fire and the Thor popped out about 10 ft from just the primer. The two guys were almost rolling on the ground laughing and so was I.

Not sure those two guys ever bought a muzzleloader. It wasn't from watching me if they did.

I can load my conicals with my fingers. If you look at the speeds most of us are getting i cant imagine any better "max" performance. 80gr by volume and a 460gr conical cranking out over 1400fps in a 45cal. Thats a beast of a load but im fairly certain its pretty safe also.

In a 50cal things might be more difficult when using bullets that are light for caliber and with breach plugs that are less than ideal. A Thor also wont bump up into the rifling like soft lead will either.

MrTom said:
Dougs136Schwartz said:

I have no problem paying for pleasure. The plusses this powder offers by far out-weigh the extra cost in my opinion.

I completely agree. This is my hobby . I dont drink or smoke I have no problem spending money on powder and bullets . I have blown much more money on much worse things !

Dougs136Schwartz said:
MrTom said:
Dougs136Schwartz said:

I completely agree. This is my hobby . I dont drink or smoke I have no problem spending money on powder and bullets . I have blown much more money on much worse things !

I spent half my money on women and whisky.....The other half I wasted.

WC Fields

I use BH 209 with Hornady FPBs which is very similar to the Thor concept. Do need a snug fit, but have never had a problem with it going off if I loaded it correctly. The only time I had a pop/dud was when I started it with a short starter and forgot to push it the rest of the way down. That would have been disasterous with any other powder!

Back