Confused and disappointed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sent my Omega Z5 back to T/C to have them check out the barrel. I had recently noticed some resistance when ramming and a visual inspection revealed a SLIGHT dulling of the bore finish from the breech plug to roughly the point of the rear sight base. I boxed her up and she came back with a target ( .77 inch group range unknown ) with no real explaination except there was " T7 residue in the barrel". Not bloody likely! I am obsessive compulsive ( practically) when it comes to bore care in ALL my weapons.This Z5 has been shot weekly for nearly 2 years and never was a rust patch found. HOWEVER, when she came back I pulled the breech plug and in the area in question there are is now PITTING ! It wasn't there when I sent it. In fact I cleaned her with bore brush and Hoppes #9 , Iosso bore paste and gave her a light coat of oil before packing her up. Frankly I dont know what to think. That barrel never went more than 4 hour after shooting before being cleaned. I've used Triple 7 for 5 years now in 4 different rifles and never got any rust or tough fouling issues. Anyone run into anything like this before? I'm sick over this, that Omega is one of the best rifles I've ever had. You bet T/C is getting a call first thing Monday!

I would be calling them also and explain the situation..

Calling

Don't give up or get down. I'm thinking you have a miscommunication. Always write down the CSR or Engineer you speak with at these companies, date , time and what you talked about. You should also ask if they have opened a ticket or job # on it and what that # is. That gives yu tracking capabilities. I'm thinking TC will do you right on the back end. Just think it could be the beggining of the hunting season! You will get more fly's w/ honey than vinegar. If that fails ask the CSR to stand up and look around for the person that can fire them......that is the person you want to talk with.......... :twisted:

Just another reason I would never buy a TC I have seen problem after problem with them.

Oversize barrels on two different guns
Both renagades (got new ones from TC)

Undersized barrel on one Which TC did swap barrels. Omega

Another omega that the ram rod holders wouldn't tighten down checked it out and the holes in the barrel were not drilled and tapped deep enough.

Never again Good luck bad company no quality left.

I'm a big fan of T/C guns and own several. I too had a similar incident. I bought an Encore for my thirteen year old son, it was fully decked in Mossy Oak camo. The gun was shot using 777 and cleaned using T/C's new at the time cleaning supplies (foaming bore cleaner, etc). The gun was sighted in in August, cleaned, and lubed up with their new seasoning patches. Opened the gun up a month later and it was nearly rusted shut. The bore was fine, but the breach end of the barrel was rusted badly, and that had rested up against the firing pin area and rusted it too.
I sent the gun back to T/C and called them after a few days. The man I talked to said that it was my responsibility to keep the gun oiled, which ticked me off, as it came across condescending and insulting to a guy who is meticulous with his weapons. I told him I felt there was either a problem with the cleaning products or the bluing on the rifle. He basically didn't budge. A few days later the gun was returned. They had re-blued the area that was rusted. Guess what? It was nearly rusted shut again...and that was straight out of the box from their shop. I called them back and they refused to do anything else for me and basically insinuated that I was not being truthful with them. I sold the gun and took a beating on the deal, as I informed the prospective buyer of the above and gave him a good deal.
The kid got a new Encore, no problems whatsoever with it. I have no idea what was wrong with that gun, but I wasn't impressed with the response from T/C...glad I haven't had to deal with them since, as all of the other T/C's we own are excellent. I chalked it up to a bad gun, and perhaps catching the shop guy on a bad day. This was my only dealing with the T/C warranty shop, and it wasn't good. I did have one issue with a Knight years ago, and their help was excellent.

we'll see...

I guess T/C is shut down from the ice storm. I have a Black Diamond XR .50 that came with a dirty barrel ( new) and I noticed a couple things . 1 there are some very fine pinprick pits right at the muzzle crown and there are several spots on the barrel breech threads where the blueing did not take. Also the blueing at the muzzle has gone chrome bright after 440 rounds. I have 1500 through the Omega and its just starting to bright now. I wonder if T/C is having some steel quality issues. I have heard of steel " delaminating" ( I believe that was the term used).I also have heard that Pyrodex leaves some pretty interesting acid compounds in the bore if not properly cleaned and that it takes alittle while to see the effects. I dont shoot Pyro and rarely shoot black in my inlines, but I wonder what T/C test fires their barrels with and could this make a difference? Will report on what T/C says when I get through to them. Those of you with T/C customer service issues, were they before or after Smith and Wesson took over...

Latest posts

Back