Congrats In-line Muzzle Loaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked to shoot a blackpowder match at my LGC a few years ago, as a way to get to know a sidehammer .50 I own but haven't fired. I read the rules that the club had posted online and determined that while I wouldn't be competitive, my equipment offered no technological advantage over what everyone else had if I used Pyrodex and patched round balls. I called & asked, answered questions about what I had, and was told they'd love to see some new faces.

Morning of the match, I showed up and was told that my T/C Gray Hawk was "illegal" because of its stainless steel construction and synthetic stock with rubber butt pad. I asked if I could shoot for no scoring placement anyway, figuring my money was still good, but was promptly informed that "targets are expensive, and our time is limited." There were all of 9 people at the range, not counting myself. (Several had rifles with laced-on leather butt pads which obviously covered some hidden soft padding, causing me to scratch my head over the prohibition against the screwed-on rubber pad on my T/C.)

The group claims NMLRA affiliation, which might be why they couldn't compromise whatever rules govern their sport, but it was still off-putting to me. Worst part was as I went to leave, the guy who'd rather curtly and bureaucratically told me to get my mutt "modern" rifle away from their pedigreed wood stocked thoroughbreds asked me how much I'd take for my Gray Hawk. I replied "I don't really know; seems I'd have to find out how it shoots somewhere else before I could decide whether or not to part with it."
:eek: Boy i could invent a Whole New Vocabulary for That Guy.......:bang:
Kudos to you for being ABLE to just walk.........unbelieveable
Sorry , i should not have said that , true or not , i apoligize

Last edited:
Group might have been a charter club but NMLRA doesn't make their rules
Oh, please don't get me wrong - I perceived no personal injustice over a group of shooters wanting to run their match how they see fit. I just didn't care for getting one very welcoming response on the phone, then a 180* different treatment in person from the ogre under the bridge after driving 45 minutes to attend. I just hope to shoot a match of some sort with that Gray Hawk someday, where it fits into a legitimate classification. I'm sticking to scoped inlines for hunting in Iowa, so without any matches to attend, that Gray Hawk is just one more piece of hardware my wife would have to dispose of when I'm gone that never served any purpose.

:eek: Boy i could invent a Whole New Vocabulary for That Guy.......:bang:
Kudos to you for being ABLE to just walk.........unbelieveable
Sorry , i should not have said that , true or not , i apoligize
I have a feeling that the guy I'd talked to on the phone was one of the busy folks far away from the sign-in point, setting up the range when I arrived; and that there was a reason this one guy was left to sit on a chair and sign people in while everyone else did the yeoman's work of setup. (I might add that I felt somewhat sorry for that chair, which was obviously under considerable strain.) Probably just as much fun for them, trying to get someone like him to help with downrange labor, as it was for me trying to sign in with the guy. There's one in every crowd, I guess. I might have gotten in if I'd asked around for the guy who'd talked to me on the phone, but I didn't feel like starting out by being the stranger trying to show the ogre up in front of his possibly long-time comrades.

I have a feeling that the guy I'd talked to on the phone was one of the busy folks far away from the sign-in point, setting up the range when I arrived; and that there was a reason this one guy was left to sit on a chair and sign people in while everyone else did the yeoman's work of setup. (I might add that I felt somewhat sorry for that chair, which was under considerable strain.) Probably just as much fun for them, trying to get someone like him to help with downrange labor, as it was for me trying to sign in with the guy. There's one in every crowd, I guess.
Truth be known they probably dont have much use for him either . Amazes me he ran you off after you called and everything !!!! Wow !!! ......Then Follows you Out and tries to Buy the Same gun that he Put Down !!! ??? !!! Oh boy !!! He'd have nightmares about that day......:lewis:

Truth be known they probably dont have much use for him either . Amazes me he ran you off after you called and everything !!!! Wow !!! ......Then Follows you Out and tries to Buy the Same gun that he Put Down !!! ??? !!! Oh boy !!! He'd have nightmares about that day......:lewis:
Well, I might try again with them, and I wouldn't want to be remembered as the apparent instigator of an unpleasant previous scene if I do go back. There just aren't any alternatives within a reasonable drive time, when weighed against my other obligations and responsibilities. My old man used to say, "Be careful that the toes you step on today aren't connected to the ass you might have to kiss tomorrow."

Last edited:
Well, I might try again with them, and I wouldn't want to be remembered as the apparent instigator of an unpleasant previous scene if I do go back. There just aren't any alternatives within a reasonable drive time, when weighed against my other obligations and responsibilities. My old man used to say, "Be careful that the toes you step on today aren't connected to the ass you might have to kiss tomorrow."
Yea well be sure and tell him to "pucker up" . I dont know if i could do it . Thats his whole problem . Nobody ever has taught him what his folks shoulda ...... The Good Lord would have to help me a whole lot with that one .

if you think about it usually every organization has some of those people

Latest posts

Back