Conicals in a T/C Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choc-dog

Reaction score
My ole' hunting buddy is getting out of hunting and he has a T/C stainless/camo .45 he wants to sell me. I origionally sighted the rifle in and worked up loads for the rifle for him.

Anyway I know the rifle is twisted 1/28, my only interest in the rifle is to shoot conicals or some form of lead slug. Since I have not shot any lead for years what lead" slugs will this rifle shoot.

Chocdog

choc-dog

The omega with my own exp. and what I have read from any other omega owners is that they just don't like or make good conical shooters.

I think that it has to do with the Q L A I had a Rem. Gen. that had the QLA and it and my omega did not shoot conicals with any consistancy at all. they shot saboted loads fairly well .

maybe if you cut the QLA off it will or may not , " Crapshoot "

There is a lot better guns out there for shooting BIG LED. ( JMO)

Ron G.

Greg,
Back in Nov '03 I bought a SS Omega to do one of two things...shoot .45cal Powerbelts and/or .35cal 195gr Dead Centers(of course I tried other stuff too!). The Dead Centers grouped inconsistantly(especially as Triple Se7en powder charges went over 90gr) so I messed around with the Powderbelts for a while. Both the 225gr Aerotip and 275gr Powerbelts shot very good with 100gr and 110gr fffg Triple Se7en. In fact the 275gr Powderbelt was tied with the 195gr Barnes as the best shoot bullet from that gun. I eventually sighted in the .45 Omega with the 275gr Powerbelts and 110gr fffg Triple Se7en- 1860fps. Although I hunting with that rifle some I also had a Knight .50 Disc Extreme that I was crazy about so I never shot a thing with the Omega and sold it in April '04.

Some info on that .45 Omega SS black synthetic stock:
Weight- 7 3/4 lbs
Barrel- 26.6 inches end of breechplug to end of barrel. 25.85 inch when you subtract QLA.
Trigger- 3.5lbs

Thanks Ron & Chuck,

When I worked up loads for this rilfe it would shoot the Hornady .45 200gr.
SST bullet into just under an inch for 3 shots with 110 grs. of 777 in 2f.

Now that is fast for a 200 gr bullet...my guess that velocity exceeds 2100FPS.

I do not need another rifle that shoots 200 gr bullets accurately, I already have 3 that do.

Thanks
Greg

Choc-dog, IMHO the Omega does not handle heavy recoil at all well. I know that is a function of how the rifle fit ME (and I'm a bit unusual :wink: ) but I can't imagine anyone enjoying the rifle while shooting a substantial charge behind a 460 grain conical. Whether you buy your friend's rifle is certainly up to you... but I woulld never buy an Omega if I was thinking "conical rifle".

Greg,

This might sound odd but I discovered it by mistake so I will offer it up for what ever it is worth. When I first purchased my Encore in 2003, I contacted TC about breaking in the barrel. The person I spoke with mentioned just shooting the rifle for 50 shots or so (cleaning between shots) with 70-80 grains of powder at a target but not to worry about groups. He said don?t worry about using anything too expensive so I used some .50 cal 245 grain Buffalo Ball-ets since I have some laying around for a 1-48 twist side hammer. This things really grouped good at 50 yards in my Encore during that break in day at the range. I have done the same thing with my Pro-Hunter with similar results accuracy wise and so has my hunting partner with 2 Omega?s and 1 Triumph. Maybe we were just lucky, but these seem to be a good and accurate conical in at least some fast twist TC rifles. I liked using this bullet in my side hammer during some Missouri managed hunts and in fact killed 7 deer with it using only 60 grains of powder. (70 yards and less was the distance.)

Doing a quick search, I see that these Ball-ets are or were offered in .45 but are just 200 grains and that a .45 cal 285 grain normal conical are or were offered too. (I have nothing to offer on these.)

Curtis

Latest posts

Back