Convert smokeless single shot rifle to a Muzzle loader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN NUT

Reaction score
Has anyone made a breech plug for a cartridge rifle and converted it to a smokeless muzzle loader I am thinking of doing one for myself

I've got one for a 12ga single shot, cheapest way into a BP shotgun...

If you are talking permanent conversion, I'd look at one of the bolt guns with easy barrel change system like a Savage. I've even pondered how to do an AR upper, though I've also seen commercial versions.

Thinking of making a breech plug to fit the guns chamber that can be removed with a rod down the barrel and returned to original but I can also thread the barrel and make a threaded plug but not my first choice

If you made it fit the chamber how would it seal? Cartridge brass swells under pressure to seal the breach.

Save yourself a lot of grief and buy a CVA Scout 45/70, send it off for a breech plug install and get the modules for it. Hankins, Schultz and a few others will do a good job for you.
Thx but it will be a project I will do myself .I have a lathe and milling machine .I am currently shopping for the rifle I will use. So no grief just do it and have some fun. I just thought of the idea yesterday so it will be my next project

Sounds like a good rewarding job you have laid out for you. Be wary of over pressuring your breech and barrel at breech plug. I would like to see what your end results are. I have neither the equipment nor the machinist knowledge on how to complete a task like that. Have fun!

It may be a while before I get it done . I am looking for the correct rifle I would like to try a H&R Shikari in 45/70 or 44mag

The H&R would be a good candidate. My friend has a Handi rifle that has been converted to 45. In a comparison his is noticeably heavier than my CVA.

I won't disparage your ability whatsoever, but to say you just thought up the idea tells me you are not paying attention to what has been going on. Why try to figure out what others have already done? If you have an improvement that is one thing, but ignoring what others have achieved before you is wasting time and creating potential problems for yourself that have already been solved, or not. Load info is carefully let out and only now after several years is it becoming easier to find info with PM's behind the scenes. Best of luck, I hope you create something awesome no on else has....

I won't disparage your ability whatsoever, but to say you just thought up the idea tells me you are not paying attention to what has been going on. Why try to figure out what others have already done? If you have an improvement that is one thing, but ignoring what others have achieved before you is wasting time and creating potential problems for yourself that have already been solved, or not. Load info is carefully let out and only now after several years is it becoming easier to find info with PM's behind the scenes. Best of luck, I hope you create something awesome no on else has....
I guess I dont get your point is I am not trying to create something new or outdo anyone I just think it would me great to take my skills and make my own smokeless muzzleloader Do you know that the people mentioned above are just doing the same thing I am going to do. Also i am paying attention when I said I just thought about it meant I just decided I would like to try a smokeless m/z and why should I pay someone else to do what I can do. and I think the ones that are doing this for others have done awesome work and used their ideas to do so

I have a couple of CVA 45-70 Apex's that were threaded for an ASG Gen2 breech plug using LRMP in brass modules, excellent shooters. Looking forward to reading about your project.
yjVVJXr.jpg

Breech plug with module in place
0P20ZyS.jpg

Last edited:
Well I am getting a education from just asking a simple question I was not expecting the type of comments I am getting some people seem to want to rain on your parade I guess but I am not discouraged by them
Like the song says, "where I come from, rain is a good thing". I get what you're going for and can see the challenge and pleasure in DIYing it. I say go for it, don't let anybody steal your thunder just because they don't get it

I guess I dont get your point is I am not trying to create something new or outdo anyone I just think it would me great to take my skills and make my own smokeless muzzleloader Do you know that the people mentioned above are just doing the same thing I am going to do. Also i am paying attention when I said I just thought about it meant I just decided I would like to try a smokeless m/z and why should I pay someone else to do what I can do. and I think the ones that are doing this for others have done awesome work and used their ideas to do so
My point was it has been done and done well. Many many people are using Jeff Hankins conversions and ignition system. I did encourage you to improve it if you can but don't make it sound like you just thought up a new idea. It sounded to me like you have no clue what has already been done......look around. And again, good luck.

My point was it has been done and done well. Many many people are using Jeff Hankins conversions and ignition system. I did encourage you to improve it if you can but don't make it sound like you just thought up a new idea. It sounded to me like you have no clue what has already been done......look around. And again, good luck.
I am not interested in trying to improve anything And you must have misunderstood what was meant about me having a idea. I do look around and also have a clue of what has been done. You dont seem to think I should make one myself but should have someone else do the same thing I can do myself. I get more satisfaction doing things myself. By your thinking nobody should even make their own accessories ie Leather goods ball starters bullets or guns because someone else is already doing it. So I will carry on with what I like to do and you keep buying your stuff and we will both be happy P/S I am finished with you have a good day

Back