Cooper of Montana - Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooper Firearms said:
If you were serious about buying one in 45 caliber, we may be able to run one through the custom shop. It would cost more & would require us to source a different barrel but could likely be done. If you decide to look into this, just give me a call at the shop. 406-777-0373

At one time Wilson made .458 1-20 barrels for White IIRC. I believe they still make .458 barrels in 1-14 and 1-22. The newer barrels seem to be more intended for 458SOCOM but a .450x.458 1-22 blank works just fine for ML barrels too. My Pacnor 1-22 .458 is a wonderful shooter.

Considering the close relationship of Cooper and Wilson, i would assume the 100 piece minimum order is not that big of an issue. If it is, Pacnor, Brux, Douglas and now Shilen blanks are readily available in 1-18, 1-20 or 1-22 depending on brand. Brux uses cut rifling so you can basically choose whatever twist you wish but you may be limited to a 6 groove.

Cooper Firearms said:
I'll check on the 45 barrels. If we can do it, perhaps it will become an option, just have to see :)

That would certainly get the attention of a select group of shooters i know. Especially if the price point starts close to what they are building already.

Lots of great info, thanks, Cooper. That looks like a great M-L. It would be top on my list if I decided to add one. I'm one who would rather spend a bit more for quality than buy the lowest price offering. One better clean that rifle well after use, NO corrosion from lack of care!

Just a few comments. I certainly see no reason for the average hunter to lust after charges of Blackhorn 209 over 120 grains. Some substitutes do have less energy than the B209.

Yes, the 50 cal makes the most sense for many, but I've been digging my 45 's the last few years. I would imagine the 50's would sell better.

"At one time Wilson made .458 1-20 barrels for White IIRC."

The White rifles use a bare bullet don't they? Are the 45 caliber fans out there all shooting bare bullet or do some prefer a sabot?

the whites shoot big lead conicals. many of the .45 bolt custom build shooters are shooting jacketed or non lead with some knurled, some sized land riders and some full formed, and some are shooting sabots, its pretty mixed from the people I hear from. I like land riders, But shoot sabot also

Cooper Firearms said:

The White rifles use a bare bullet don't they? Are the 45 caliber fans out there all shooting bare bullet or do some prefer a sabot?

My .451 White Super 91 Wilson barrel likes the .451 Bullshop 480gr conicals. I have only shot conicals threw my rifle, usually take one-two deer a year with the Bullshops. Killed a nice 8pt an mature doe last Nov. with them. I have never tried sabots, in my Whites....I''m sure they would shoot just as well, but sabots are taboo in the DWB world... :lol: :lol:

I shoot sabots, larger conicals and what we call land riders which are sized jacketed bullets without a sabot. Land riders can provide noticeable fps gains vs a similar weight 50cal sabot load. Plus you dont have the issue of barrel heat making the sabot weak. They often load quite easily compared to sabots once you get the hang of sizing the bullet for YOUR barrel. A couple companies make adjustable sizing dies that make it easier than it sounds.

My 45cal barrels are .450 land to land or very slightly smaller. White's 45cal barrels and a some others run a bit larger.

Bitterroot Sherpa said:
Are most of the 45 caliber bolt gun guys out there shooting BP subs or smokeless?

Depends on the build. I use BH209 and Swiss exclusively in my Knight 45s. My custom built Savage 45 is mostly a non smoker but i do tinker with BH209 also.

Bitterroot Sherpa said:
Are most of the 45 caliber bolt gun guys out there shooting BP subs or smokeless?

No smokeless in any of my ML's. Just really do not have an interest in my case. I have great smokeless rifles when I get that urge.

So yes, I am shooting BP subs in all of mine and often with some sort of sabotless bullet riding the lands with a wad under the bullet.

My whites in .504 will shoot 300gr deep curls and xtps very accurately.

Cooper Firearms said:

I use a saboted 195-200 grain bullet in my 45 cal Knights. My chronograph shows a 2218 FPS average with 110 grains of B209. Even though shots aren't usually that far, I like the flatter trajectory.

Doc White ML's were bored .451 with a shallow grove 1-20" twist. Best accuracy seems to be obtained with bullets measuring .451.5 with the bullet ever so slightly engraving the lands and groves.

Sorry for my absence lately. Well, I finally got one of the M22 ML's into the hands of Toby Bridges, who runs the North American Muzzleloader Hunter web page for review. He wanted to review a base model, or what we call a Classic style. The rifle he is reviewing has only two options on it. One is a stainless barrel (which is a free option) & the other is a custom serial number (which is an inexpensive option). I believe that what he got is a very fair representation of a M22 ML Classic.
I also followed that rifle around the factory taking pictures of it at different steps in the manufacturing process. He has included these pictures in his review, which I think is very cool. I also gave him a tour of the factory (which I will do for anyone, by the way) so that he could incorporate this knowledge & the pictures to give his readers a look "behind the scenes". It's a very good read.
His first review is sans range report as he was unable to get to the range due to ridiculous amounts of rain we've had in MT. However, he did get out to the range twice after he posted his first review. The first time was very windy & cut short due to sudden rain storm & the second was a pretty productive range trip. He is going to post a range report as soon as he returns from a spring bear hunt (which he is using the rifle on). Hopefully he is successful in harvesting a nice bear.
I have pictures of his 100 yard targets & will post them here for the readership but still can't wait for the full range report so that I can read all the particulars. I will also post a link to the review on his web page. The only "fault" I found in the article is that my role at Cooper is overstated (I wish I was so important, lol) but it's not a big deal.
Enjoy! :partyman:

http://www.namlhunt.com/mlrifle17.html

First day's target with ridiculous winds (.920"):

Second target (.875")

Third target (.570")

Latest posts

Back