Copper fouling

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carcaju99

Reaction score
Howdy folks! It seems that my CVA Wolf barrel gets fouled with copper easily. Is this normal? My smokeless comes clean with Pro-Shot solvent but not the Wolf. There are scabs of copper in the barrel. I am using Hornady Bore drivers that have a sort of sabot. Seems odd to be fouling so much. Any thoughts?

Howdy folks! It seems that my CVA Wolf barrel gets fouled with copper easily. Is this normal? My smokeless comes clean with Pro-Shot solvent but not the Wolf. There are scabs of copper in the barrel. I am using Hornady Bore drivers that have a sort of sabot. Seems odd to be fouling so much. Any thoughts?
not really, rifle is no different than Centerfire, I would say difference in grade of Barrel being used

Gotta be a quarter's worth of copper in the barrel.

Is this copper or rust? What's your opinion?

Attachments

• Snap_001.jpg
    Snap_001.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Snap_002.jpg
    Snap_002.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Snap_004.jpg
    Snap_004.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Snap_005.jpg
    Snap_005.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 0
  • Snap_007.jpg
    Snap_007.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Snap_008.jpg
    Snap_008.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Snap_009.jpg
    Snap_009.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Might try to polish the bore with something like JB Bore Polish. That may help keep the fouling down.
I don't have any JB handy. I did take your advice to heart. I wet a patch and sprinkled a little Comet (I think you call it Dutch Cleanser) on the patch. I pushed it thru and got brown copper staining on the patch. I ran 4-5 more thru and then switched back to Pro-Shot copper solvent. Give it a few hours and I'll run the bore scope thru again. I'll post the new pics to show results.

Any good metal polish(fine or mild abrasive) would probably accomplish a good bore polish. There are a couple good threads here about polishing bores. One using steel wool and a good bore polishing compound on a very tight fitting bore brush. I cant recall the thread title just now. I’ll find a link if someone else doesn't put it up first.

Thank you all for your comments. I have a good friend that is very knowledgeable in all things, firearms. He thinks the staining is actually rust spots from previous owner leaving solvent in the bore. What are your thoughts? I've never heard of a solvent being corrosive. Would Hoppe's black powder solvent do that?

No, ive not heard of a solvent causing corrosion. More likely its from the powder used and not getting properly cleaned. A long thorough cleaning may remove rust and/or take down some of the pitting. I missed those pics earlier. I ve seen worse barrels that shot really well. They will foul quicker/more easily.

Soap and hot water clean mine, then hoppes black powder, then wipe out if I have been shooting nonsaboted jacketed bullets to get any copper out. Then a cleaning with bore scrubber and a light oiling to protect.

Probably overkill, but I never get rust. Some “regular” solvents will not get the rust causing fouling from black powder or some of the replacements like 777 or white hots out.

HBN powder (HexaBoron Nitride) can help reduce metals sticking to your barrel. It looks like talcum powder. During recent years David Tubbs has provided a service which will coat your bullets with HBN, instead of Moly.

It works best on a virgin barrel but will work on any barrel if you can get it clean.

Put some HBN on a patch and run it down the bore of a super-clean barrel. It will deposit a very thin layer of HBN on the surface and helps fill in the tiny pores.

You can get HBN powder on eBay the last time I checked. A little goes a long way.

It can also be used on bullet molds instead of carbon.

Might try to polish the bore with something like JB Bore Polish. That may help keep the fouling down.
Thats exactly where my mind went with this post too bro. Bob sent me a bunch of the White - fine Scuff pads & wrapping one cut to the right size around a bore brush of the next cal down - ( I have JB Bore compound to start out, then with JB Bore Bright to finish it off ). I used a wornout .40 brush for my .45's & a wornout .45 brush for my .50. If you cut the scuff pad to the right length the brush holds it in place perfectly after you fiddle a bit gettin it started. But its well worth the outcome when all is done. Thats a huge step in the right direction to resolving his issue.

HBN powder (HexaBoron Nitride) can help reduce metals sticking to your barrel. It looks like talcum powder. During recent years David Tubbs has provided a service which will coat your bullets with HBN, instead of Moly.

It works best on a virgin barrel but will work on any barrel if you can get it clean.

Put some HBN on a patch and run it down the bore of a super-clean barrel. It will deposit a very thin layer of HBN on the surface and helps fill in the tiny pores.

You can get HBN powder on eBay the last time I checked. A little goes a long way.

It can also be used on bullet molds instead of carbon.
Thanks for your post & the info. I learned something new from it too.
I'm makin some Bills or Bens liquid spray on lube that dries to the touch but leaves a micro film of lube on your bullets. I'm testing this ( its new to me too ) on cast conicals in my .50. I'll get to testing out some jacketed bullets with it too, to see if theres any fouling or cleaning differences. Perhaps polishing his bore & using a spray on lube like this will completely alleviate his fouling issues. Its food for thought.

Latest posts

Back