Cleaning a CVA Wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carcaju99

Reaction score
I have been using Hoppe's BP solvent to clean my rifle. Not because I like it but because it's all you can find up here. I thought I was doing an OK job until today. A friend has a scope to view the barrel. I saw quite a bit of copper. I use Pro Shot copper solvent for my 8x57. Is there any reason I should not? I haven't seen any posts yet describing copper fouling. What are you using for solvent? Also, a friend recommended using CLR to remove carbon. Any thoughts?

Regards All!

Attachments

• bears.jpg
    bears.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
I suppose you can use whatever cleaner available. You don't say if you have or use a bore brush.
An under size cleaning jag, say 45 caliber with the correct thread size for your ramrod, probably 10/32, with a little bit of 000 steel wool wrapped around or cut strips of Scotchbrite scrubbing pads, (green or blue). A few strokes up and down the barrel should loosen up any fouling which you can then wipe out with cloth patches.

If you're shooting bore to bullet, no sabot, and BH209, then yes you can use the Pro Shot right from the get go. If you're using black or a sub then you'd want to use a water based cleaner first to remove the powder fouling, then you could get after the copper with the Pro Shot. When finished just run a patch dampened with your choice of rust preventative thru the gun and you'll be good to go.

For tougher fouling you can do as deerman has suggested or use some JB Bore Paste to get after it, following the direction on the jar.

I suppose you can use whatever cleaner available. You don't say if you have or use a bore brush.
An under size cleaning jag, say 45 caliber with the correct thread size for your ramrod, probably 10/32, with a little bit of 000 steel wool wrapped around or cut strips of Scotchbrite scrubbing pads, (green or blue). A few strokes up and down the barrel should loosen up any fouling which you can then wipe out with cloth patches.

you recommended this to me in another post somewhere . i just got a .45 jag in a few days ago and i'll do a thorough cleaning with scotch bright and dawn when we get some .

Attachments

• 20220609_140052.jpg
    20220609_140052.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0
Back