Correct way to Swab?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampFox

Reaction score
Hi,Guys what is yalls way of swabing when sighting in or just shooting for fun?
I always swab with GLASS PLUS on a dampen a patch ,then run it threw and the flip it over and dampen it again and run it threw.Then run a clean dry patch threw, then flip it over and run it threw again.

I have been reading all sorts of ways people have been doing it.
I have been doing it like this for many years,i am just wondering how some of yall have been doing it

Shooting for fun - just like Patrick.

Shooting for groups - two wet patches both sides, two dry patches both sides, load, light oil patch, shoot very very carefully.

I do it the same way for groups and hunting.

Before the first shot I do 3 wet and 3 dry after snapping 3 caps. My gun shoots clean or dirty the same way.

I use a 50/50 mix of windshield washer fluid and isopropyl alcohol. I lightly dampen a patch. Then working in short strokes of about 3-4 inches, work down the bore to the breech. After I pull that patch, I flip it over and do it all again. Then comes two dry patches. I save them for the next damp patch application. Then just load as normal.

cayuga said:
I use a 50/50 mix of windshield washer fluid and isopropyl alcohol. I lightly dampen a patch. Then working in short strokes of about 3-4 inches, work down the bore to the breech. After I pull that patch, I flip it over and do it all again. Then comes two dry patches. I save them for the next damp patch application. Then just load as normal.

I do the same. Learned it from him and works great.

Thanks guys for yalls input.I use to use the
50/50 mix of windex and alcohol,it works great.But i have found out that this cleaner call GLASS PLUS has some stuff in it for stainless steel that really works great.It just melts away just about all the mess off my Knight with just the spraying of it ,not all of it but most of it will just melt away.
Also i just swab after every other shot.

Patrick White said:
Wet patch both sides, dry patch both sides. Reload, shoot then do it again.

That's exactly what I do as well. I use spit too! Reason...you have the same solvent at the range AND in the field.

Guys, when you use this wet patch procedure do you remove the breech plug? If not, doesn't all the dirt end being pushed against the plug, eventually clogging it?

Patrick White said:

Ditto, works great. I use spit, or a spray bottle of water but mainly spit with some Copenhagen in it. :wink:

Critter said:
Patrick White said:

Ditto, works great. I use spit, or a spray bottle of water but mainly spit with some Copenhagen in it. :wink:

I knew that comment was coming, the issue is how do you tell the difference between Coppenhagen and fouling??? :roll: :roll:

Choc-dog

J.Mol said:
Guys, when you use this wet patch procedure do you remove the breech plug? If not, doesn't all the dirt end being pushed against the plug, eventually clogging it?

Nope. Out of 8 muzzleloaders I've never had that happen even with T7 and it's crud.

J.Mol said:

I honestly think any crud that might accumulate around the plug is blow free with the next shot. Put a clean patch on a loading jag sometime and push that down to the breech with a ramrod. Then pop just the 209 primer. My rifles will about blow that patch off or back onto the jag, and often times move that rod and jag a considerable distance. I think when you shoot, that is what happens to any crud that might be left over.. it is blow out the barrel with the rest of the load.

I am just guessing all this mind you about the crud, but I never pull the plug unless I actually fowl the rifle completely out (which I have done) or am finished and ready to clean at the end of the day.

I sold my CVA Optima and I'm looking to purchase the Omega or Triumph. In the meantime, it's great to collect all the valuble info on this board.

choc-dog said:
Critter said:
Patrick White said:

I knew that comment was coming, the issue is how do you tell the difference between Coppenhagen and fouling??? :roll: :roll:

Choc-dog

Copenhagen tastes better.

will isopropyl alcohol 50/50 mixed with 409 glass & surface cleaner work ? its all i seem to have and i need something for sight it tomorrow .

YES IT WILL!!

BUT MAKE SURE YOU SQUEEZE OUT THE PATCHES GOOD YOU ONLY WANT THEM DAMP NOT SOAKED

thanks for the info , made up some in a old hoppies gun oil bottle that i cleaned out .i will be sure to ring the patches out before swabing the barrel .

I kept an old "OFF Bug Pump Spray bottle" and I fill that with the solution and spritz the patch with that. Also because of the size, I can carry that in my possible bag when I hunt. With that liquid, I could actually clean the rifle if I had to.

Also in your case, the 409 glass cleaner will work fine without the alcohol too.

Back