coyote hunting with a ML , to much pelt damage ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew_h

Reaction score
i want to try coyote hunting , the only rifle i have with the power to kill one is my buckhorn .how much pelt damage would it do ? a friend of mine will help me with the pelt curing .my o/u turkey gun with a 3 inch load of t shot should work , here in mi we can hunt coyote at night with a rim fire or shot gun jsut no buckshot or slugs at night . the ml would be for during the day , unless it would do to much damage .

It depends on what bullet you're using but you can count on a 45 cal hole going in and the bullet you use will decide how big an exit hole you'll have.

A Barnes 195 red hot would do the trick.. or a 200 sw.

I think both will give .40 cal holes in and out.

I've shot them with both the 250 SST and 250 bonded SW. Bonded SW makes a slightly larger hole coming out and the SST still larger. Nothing that can't be fixed with a needle and thread :wink:

I shot one with my 50cal knight and a 260grain PR bullet and the enterance wasnt to bad nut the exit just about blew off his back leg

mine is a.50 , shooting 300 grain shockwaves . i guess i should stick to my shot gun or get a .45 ML ,good reason to buy a new gun :) .

EDIT : i just remembered that i have a handful of 295 grain power belts , how would those do ? i did not use them for deer because i heard they don't leave blood trials . also something about not passing though the deer all the way .would they do less damage to coyotes but still be deadly ? would i have to change my zero much ? or is it not worth it ?

They may not pass through a deer but they'll go through a coyote. When I go looking for coyotes I use a 22-250 with 40 grain V-max. It blows up inside, just like it was designed to do, and never exits. Maybe you should think about getting a varmint rifle if it's pelts you're after.

There are a number of fully jacketed bullets available for use in sabots. These bullets are minimal expansion and cause little pelt damage.

cannot afford a varmint rifle , just bought a turkey gun and will take a few months to pay it off .

I've had good luck with 275 Parker BE's. They are very accurate in my gun and tend to punch through with some/minimal damage. I've also used them on grey foxes. Use the muzzleloader.

Back