Crazy day at the range with the MK-95's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
I got out today to finish re-sighting in my rifles. Last day for me till opening Day in Ohio on 11/30. After getting the 32 and the 36 cals, I had done a bunch of scope swapping. Today was about 40* and not too bad for wind early but it got pretty gusty by the time I got to the 50 cal. Plus had a problem at the club with some Trespassing Dirt bikers. :evil: Had to run them off and it had me a bit ticked off as the knot heads don't respect private property. They did high tail it out when they learned they were in the middle of a rifle range. I explained to them had they read the signs all around the place it TELLS them that. :wall: Then when I started adjusting the scope on 50 cal I was still ticked and the wind was gusting left and right some, our range is a hard place to shoot in the wind as it swirls in it due to burms on both sides as well as the back stop at 200 yards. After laying out the stuff for the 50 cal I realized I had forgot to pack the Sabots for it and only had 5 left. The new bag was still on the bench at home. :d'oh!: :wall:

I shot the MK-95 .54 cal first. Load was my 336 Lead bullet with Purple MMP sabot and 100 grainsV of Pyrodex RS. Target was at 100 yards 6 rounds were fired and I was satisfied. Its a tad left but it will work ok for me. The places I plan to use it back home in Ohio is in the woods so shots will be from 50 to 100 yards. I did go up a couple clicks on the scope for the last 2 shots and called it good. I was not allowing much time between shots and all charges were thrown on site.

Then after all the hoopla with the knot heads I adjusted the scope on the .50 cal. It was really gusty now and I did not shoot as good as I would like but as ticked at them as I was I will take it. :wink: First shot was a bit high but good windage wise so adjusted the scope and shot the 3 in the middle. Added a couple click and shot that last one down range. Tried to time and shoot the gusts better on shots 4 and 5. It's pretty much right where I like this rifle to be. Wish had remembered the other bag of Sabots. :wall: Load was Speer .452 300 grain Deep Curl, MMP HPH-12 sabot, 100 grainsV of Pyrodex RS thrown on site. Now to find a couple deer for the freezer. :wink:

That's good stuff Shawn! :yeah:

I might just have to break out my .54 MK with them special bullets again this yr - they worked like a champ last yr! :mrgreen: Good luck in OH... we'll be waiting on the hero pics :D

Thanks guys. Was not my best with the .50 cal but I know it was more me than anything. :roll: Now just to get on the deer. Mt nephew has been sending me Pics of Bucks from home. One nice 10pt seems to so far be mostly coming in after dark and before dawn, but it has me anxious to get going.

Hey Mike, that bullet shoots better than I had imagined I am pretty tickled with it. going to have to sit down when season is over and cast up a bunch more. I got a new "locking" mould handle to help with consistency I need to try out.

I got this picture from pjsoden the other day. He shot a great group with it too. Good shooting Pete!

Here are 3 pics my Nephew sent me from our place in Ohio.

decent 10pt

Trashy little 10pt

Trashy 12point.

Back