Custom bullet matched rod guide

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
I started shooting the Precision Rifle QT40 bullets back in 2000. The problem with them was not deforming the bullet while loading. When I got my Savage, the best deer load I had was the 250 gr SST and MMP sabot, it was super tight in the barrel. I wanted something that fit closer to the bullet's ogive to use while loading.

I made my own from a cut down .223 Rem casing to about 1/2" long and some epoxy. I drilled and tapped the primer hole to accept a 10-32 stud coated with red locktite and filled the brass case with epoxy. I inserted a poly tipped bullet that was coated with wax as a release agent into the epoxy and let it dry. The next day I popped off the bullet and its a done deal. The case is small enough to slip in the ramrod guides under the barrel and it works like a champ. I have loaded and pushed sabots completely through the bore and there is no deforming of the ogive.

I have used the commercial versions, but this one is much better. I had not had any deformation on the soft lead bullets with this tool.

bulletguide1.jpg

bulletguide2.jpg

bulletguide3.jpg

Back