Custom Inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you tell my wifey that please, she's onto my hiding spots!!!!

lol your on your own there ! I am very lucky . I am self employed and have a certain amount of cash jobs my wife does not know about. Sure hope she never gets on this site !

Oh my :( never cleaned breechplug of Carbon
Never cleaned barrel . .... yep that ought to be a real learning lesson before to long . If you ever sale that gun make sure and disclose that tidbit of info

3+ years into this abusive test and I still cant "break" it. What would you consider "to long"? If these were typical components from the typical manufacturers, you would be right. I know a bare stainless barrel would have been destroyed long ago. The breech plug would probably be rusted right to the barrel as well. A better selection of material and surface treatments and all those problems can be a thing of the past.

Sounds like a salesman . Whatever ...... hopefully no one follows after you thinking they no longer have to clean .

I never have a range session with a CF, that its not cleaned directly after. Granted, I don't shoot that much CF, short of the .450 Bushmaster, but they get cleaned immediately.
Certainly, I'll never spend my wife's money ;) on a custom muzzleloader, regardless of propellant used, and not clean it after a range session.

The only muzzleloader I own that seems to be impervious to any sort of abuse is a Navy Arms Country Boy made in, of all places, China. A typical pawn shop special, It did not seem to have been cleaned since before it was pawned, I pulled the breech plug, ran a patch through the barrel, and it looked like it had never been fired. Can't say why. Maybe the bore is chromed.

There's nothing wrong with cleaning everything after you get home from the range. That's not point I'm trying to make. Reality is many hunters ruin their muzzleloaders from not being on top of cleaning and keeping oil on it. As Danny Ross mentioned in this post, he found one that may be chrome lined that is impervious to any abuse. Nitride is known/proven to be far superior to chrome. Peace of mind knowing your investment wont be rusted out because you couldn't get it cleaned the evening after you shot it is all I'm saying.

Sounds like a salesman . Whatever ...... hopefully no one follows after you thinking they no longer have to clean .
Recently I was on a muzzleloader trip in Ohio. A guy had a stainless "All season" muzzleloader made by the biggest brand name company. It was 2 years old and he said 30 rounds at the most had been through it. It looked fairly clean too. He missed a deer, reloaded and the hammer will no longer cock. Closer inspection revealed all kinds of rust down inside. He spent hours spraying oil and messing with it. What a great hunting trip with that gun, talk about having no confidence. This guy bragged about how many rifles, every caliber you can think of and how much money he spends on stuff. I would assume he probably takes care of stuff to some degree. As a manufacturer and "salesman" as I'm called, this is unacceptable on a supposed quality gun made for "all seasons". The big name brands have great sales pitch's but the products can't live up to it.
At least my products have the history and reputation living up to my sales pitch. 6 years in, sales booming and never once rusted/corroded barrels and other parts. My products lifetime guarantee would financially shut me down if things didn't hold up.

I am a VET and treat all my firearms as though my life is depending on them, as someday it may.

Recently I was on a muzzleloader trip in Ohio. A guy had a stainless "All season" muzzleloader made by the biggest brand name company. It was 2 years old and he said 30 rounds at the most had been through it. It looked fairly clean too. He missed a deer, reloaded and the hammer will no longer cock. Closer inspection revealed all kinds of rust down inside. He spent hours spraying oil and messing with it. What a great hunting trip with that gun, talk about having no confidence. This guy bragged about how many rifles, every caliber you can think of and how much money he spends on stuff. I would assume he probably takes care of stuff to some degree. As a manufacturer and "salesman" as I'm called, this is unacceptable on a supposed quality gun made for "all seasons". The big name brands have great sales pitch's but the products can't live up to it.
At least my products have the history and reputation living up to my sales pitch. 6 years in, sales booming and never once rusted/corroded barrels and other parts. My products lifetime guarantee would financially shut me down if things didn't hold up.

There are BUNCHES of folks who clean the crap out of their barrel and breech plug that it never enters their mind to make sure the primer puncher end gets maintained as well!

Back