Cute Muzzleloading Story

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I am a member of a sportsman's club where as part of my membership, I have to serve as a range officer a couple of times a year. Well today a 73 year old man comes with his Omega and he just can't get it to shoot straight...so I start to help him with it, reboresighted it, and it just would not hold zero. Eventually he tells me that it fell 15 feet out of a tree! So I tell him that I expect that the scope is just plain broken and that the recoil from each shot is throwing everything off. He gets very upset because his daughter was going to hunt with him tonight- coming special from college and it would be their first time hunting together. I'd brough a gun of mine by to the range and I told him- look, let's test my theory...so I mounted my scope on his Omega, boresighted and two shots later we were hitting bullseyes. Problem is that we were far away from any store where he could buy a new scope- so I told him he could just keep mine on his gun and continue with his hunt. He was super appreciative but insisted on buying the scope from me right there...and as he left the range he actually gave me a hug because of how important being able to hunt with his daughter was to him this evening! - The irony that I am "the blackpowder guy" now at my club is amusing considering ya'll know that without the wisdom on this forum, I'd be lost in the woods myself! After seeing me work this guy, two other people came up to ask about muzzleloaders and one went online and bought one right then!

Great job! 👍

Kind of ironic that the guy was so concerned about doing the right thing, that he bought your scope on the spot.

He’s likely the type of guy who actually WOULD have brought it back, or settled up in whatever fashion you agreed upon, anyway…

The only way this story gets any better, is if his daughter tags a deer! Harvesting a deer is only part of the whole deer hunt, but it IS one of the things separates deer hunting from just a nice walk in the woods…. 🦌

That is awesome! You may think you dont know much but just by being part of this forum you are leaps and bounds ahead of most MLers.
btw, i expect youll be changing your handle, here, to ‘The Blackpowder Guy’. It’s way catchier than ‘JHSA-President’ imho.
You know...if I knew when I signed up for this Forum how much time I'd spend on it, I probably would have come up with a better name! I am following your advice and requested a name change...though AJHS is still there...as you can see in my avatar picture..the original name had a meaning! If you had told me when I first signed up that within a year I'd own 4 muzzleloaders, a grain scale, real black powder and a variety of subs...it's almost funny. I swear I signed up because I wanted a new bullet recommendation because I was disatisfied with the performance on the Hornday XTP 240 grain...that was a year ago because that was right after early ML in Maryland last year and this weekend is early ML in Maryland again! This really is a great community and I feel very lucky to have found it.

If you had told me when I first signed up that within a year I'd own 4 muzzleloaders, a grain scale, real black powder and a variety of subs...it's almost funny.
You can’t take a step here on modern muzzleloader without stepping in a Rabbit Hole, with a lot of help from the Enablers

I was happy with my sidelock of 35 years and my 5 year old Wolf. Id never heard of Knight and now I own 3. I also picked up 2 T/C and 1 Investarm Hawkens. Enablers, just a bunch of enablers.

:):):):)

Agree w/all the ”rabbit hole” and “enabler” comments…

Came here strictly for info on the CVA Optima V2 pistol, as I was interested in buying one. No other interest in growing my accumulation- I already had a T/C Omega dialed in, “good enough” for my hunting uses.

Less than a year later, I’ve added two of the CVA Optima V2s, two T/C Scout carbines, and a T/C Patriot pistol, to my accumulation. Oh… and ball molds, and T/C Maxi molds, and guy should really have a good stash of lead, and… I’ve got a bunch of blocks of mutton tallow, and beeswax, and felt with punches to cut wads, and sabots, and…

Stocked up on various 209s, #10 and #11 caps (domestic AND foreign), Pyrodex, black powder, and BH 209.

Pine Sol, Windex, Ballistol… should really buy a gallon of Ballistol. It’s “cheaper” by the gallon! 😇

Now I need some .45 ramrod accessories, as I’m having a hard time getting the .50 caliber accessories down a .45 bore. Should try those new speed loaders, too. What I’ve been doing for the past 20 years has worked fine, but the new ones might be better!

A fella really ought to have a .32 “squirrel rifle,” too. I wonder how a .36 compares to a .32… and a .54. Really need a .54! Nice .58 for sale in the Classifieds, and the seller called me about about not having a “real man’s“ rifle. Probably should get a .52… .50’s not quite enough for that big deer, but the .54 is a bit TOO much…

Now about that underhammer, and a Tingle pistol, and… 😳

Its a sickness I tell you. Killed my first deer with a borrowed .45 Hawken flintlock in '74. Then purchased a .50 cal Hawken the same year. I now have a .45 cal Hawken caplock with a GM LRH barrel, another with a 45 cal 1:20 twist barrel, two .58 cals one in percussion and another in flintlock 1:66 twist, .50 cal CVA Accura V2, T/C Encore .45, T/C Encore .50 pistol, .45 Knight Mountaineer, and two Rem 700 MLs.
I also have several electric melting pots and a plethora of bullet casting molds, bullets, lubes, patches, powders (real black powder and substitutes) and accessories.

Quote: Problem is that we were far away from any store where he could buy a new scope- so I told him he could just keep mine on his gun and continue with his hunt. He was super appreciative but insisted on buying the scope from me right there.

A very kind thing to do and I have no doubt that your kindness will be repaid with interest sometime in the future. 👍

BP is a genuine sickness that compels you to acquire a strange collection of materials. The cure does not present itself until you run out of cash. Then along comes some enabler that says "oh it's OK. Just pay me later!

Back