Cutting Edge Bullets in MK 85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I shoot a 250 grain Maximus bullet from my CVA Accura PR using a green Harvester crush rib sabot. Anyone ever shot this bullet from an older MK 85? I will be using Olde E 2F powder until I can get some T7 Powder to try. I use BH 209 in my Accura but realize its not a good fit for the Knight plunger style rifle. This bullet has been amazingly accurate for me and am thinking I would like to try it in the MK 85.

I have owned quite a few MK's. Never tried that particular bullet, but I have tried quite a few saboted loads, most everything shot pretty darn well, and I can usually find a load or two that drives tacks fairly easily. Depending on the bore size of your rifle, crush rib may be the best option. I still have 2 .50's and in both I shoot crush rib, they both are pretty tight with non-CR sabots, but will shoot well with either. Just for loading CR is much better, especially if dirty. My .50's have typically liked anywhere from 90-100gr of powder (I use pyrodex), with 240-260gr bullets. I'd start around there if I was you. Good luck with your new rifle.
Also, I'd get rid of that see through mount and put a quality 3-9x40 on it if you plan to keep / hunt with it. JMHO

Latest posts

Back