CVA 209 Breech Plugs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMDC

Reaction score
Shooting 65 grain weighed 209 and 300 grain Thor bullets how long is average life of CVA 209 breech plug? How do you tell it's time to replace the plug and is new plug likely to change point of impact? Thanks for any information.

After years and many rounds fired of BH209, one clue that the breech plug needs replacement is that your "average" groups will start opening up. I'm not talking about those days when its the shooter's fault, but when the groups you normally shoot start opening up. When ever I replaced a worn breech plug (flash hole) with a new plug, groups tightened right back up instantly.

When the flash hole has grown to 0.037", it is time to replace, or repair the breech plug. The plug should be good for more than 250 shots. One thing that happens when the flash hole gets too large is the pressure on the primer increases enough to push soot right through the inside of the primer.

Last edited:
Thanks for flash hole size and grouping information. Any suggestions on ways to measure flash hole? I don't have a pin gage. The Lehigh loose powder plug sounds interesting. Do they make one for Accura V2?

Thanks for the link to Lehigh breech plug website. Think I'll order cheap set of micro drill bits and use the shank of the #63 bit which is suppose to be .037 inches to test flash hole for enlargement. If oversized the Lehigh with vent liners seems like the way to go. Any thoughts?

Ron,
Thank you for the pin gage website link. I will contact them for details.

Need breech plug for Apex .50 where can i go? I 've tried all the usual spots not having much luck, could you trim down a Accura plug to fit? thanks Larry

Hope you bought a BH209 version and a standard one. You will need the install tool ONE time to seat them properly. The reason i say buy both is the regular plug can be converted to BH209 compliant too. Once converted with a vent liner it will last for ages and is actually a better plug.

How do you convert regular BP to 209, what is expense and can you use 209 plug with pellets if needed?

IMG_4293.JPG

Prep the plug to use the ventliner. That screw with the flash hole drilled through.

Drill a 5/32" hole through the plug. This enlarges the flame channel from 3mm diameter to 5/32", and destroys the flash hole.

IMG_4291.JPG

In the powder end dill a 25/64" hole about 3/8" deep.

IMG_4292.JPG

Ream the bottom of the 25/64" hole with a 3/8" 82° counter sink. This allows the ventliner to fit tightly. Tap the end of the flame channel with about nine threads cut with a 10-32 tap; the vent liner can be now be installed.

IMG_4294.JPG

The plug is ready to install in the rifle, and will reliably ignite Blackhorn powder.

Ron has modified two of these CVA plugs for me with vent liners. They are so much easier to clean up with the liner removed! I am using them on my Optima V2 rifle an pistol. I have not had a misfire to date with Winchester W209 primers and BH209 powder.

I've modified all of my CVA guns so they use the vent liners and have eliminated any hang or mis-fires using the 209 powder. Great powder, great way to ignite it. I use Winchester primers in the blue box 100% of the time with these plugs. They shoot clean and no soot on spent primers.

Latest posts

Back