CVA 209 Breech Plugs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron,
Thanks for the excellent explanation and pictures of converting a regular BP to a BH breech plug. Finally got to measure my flash hole and its .031 so should be good for awhile.

Am not able to know. Before Blackhorn plugs were available, plugs like this, were how folk burned Blackhorn powder. They were used all over this wonderful country.

Ok, so I think there was a misunderstanding; I was asking what's the coolest primer you have personally used to ignite BH209 with your breech plug design. For the record, I like your design so much, I bought Lehigh's version of it, and am going to test it out when I get it back; had Lehigh not produced this design, I would have sent my OEM plug off for modification. Previously, I have successfully used both the CVA and Western breech plugs, I just want to try/use this design as I am always looking for a better mousetrap. :)

I am curious if anyone has ever successfully used the muzzleloader specific 209 primers with this breech plug design instead of the 209 shotshell primers, based on the seemingly superiority of the design over non-vent lined plugs. That said, I understand that BH209 calls for the use of shotshell primers to reliably ignite the powder, which is all I have used up until this point (including CCI 209M, Federal 209A, Fiocchi 616, and W209 primers), and all I plan on using in the future. I have used these shotshell primers with the CVA and Western breech plugs with no FTF or hangfires until I went too many shots into a string without cleaning the breech plug(s).

In the end, I am just curious about it.

W209 primers, and STS primers work; normally W209 is used. Rarely have burned 209A primers, but not normally. Do not recall if 777 primers were ever tried in this plug.

The Lehigh plug is quite different than doing this modification. Flame channel is a way shorter, and i believe it is smaller diameter. Should work good.

Ron,
Thanks for the excellent explanation and pictures of converting a regular BP to a BH breech plug. Finally got to measure my flash hole and its .031 so should be good for awhile.
No problem.

Lehigh Knight plug is a 5/32 flash channel also. That is the size bit i use to clean mine. I think the the CVA OEM plug once converted is better than all of them. Still waiting to see reviews on the Lehigh CVA plug for the other CVA models. Pretty sure its very similar.

Depth of flash channel on primer side?
Depth of vent liner on powder side?
Flash channel size?...5/32 or 1/8"?

Depth of flash channel on primer side?..........0.3"
Depth of vent liner on powder side?................0.76"
Flash channel size?...5/32 or 1/8"?.................0.123"

Yes, that's the one. It's what i thought you wanted.

There should be no ignition issues with this plug, primer flame will be close to the powder, and hot.

The flame channel of the one's i retrofitted, and sold, back then, before the 209 QRBP were available, were about 0.65" long ~twice as long as the Lehigh plug.

Perhaps the 1/8" flame channel is more efficient than a 5/32" flame channel? There is less surface area in the smaller channel to absorb heat from the primer flame. Recalling Bernoulli' Principal, the flame travels faster through the smaller channel.

It may be, the flame contacting less surface, and spending less time in contact with the surface, could bring more heat to the powder? Or not?

The flash channel volume is going to be quite small. More pressure on the primer but also less wear on the vent from the powder. Less volume to fill. My NULA plug is really short but the channel is 5/32. Works very well too.

Latest posts

Back