CVA 40 Caliber Muzzleloader Accura MR-X

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
45's are shooting 1,000yds with no problems.

Got a 40 that will shoot 1K? Keep an eye out in the Long Range and Target Shooting section. There's a match coming up in June IIRC. I'd like to see a 40cal CVA at the event.

If MMP or Harvester made a 40/357 sabot, it would be alittle more comparable to the 45 versatility
Somebody in here was recently selling a pile of 45/357 bullets in sabots. It was a surprise to me. I had no idea such a sabot was made until I saw them for sale in here. But there - were pics, so its real.

Somebody in here was recently selling a pile of 45/357 bullets in sabots. It was a surprise to me. I had no idea such a sabot was made until I saw them for sale in here. But there - were pics, so its real.
Yeah, I’ve seen those 45/357s on the MMP website but never really considered them. Maybe there’re worth a try. I’ve never had much luck with the 50/44 greens. Always been a fan of shooting a bullet that was a little closer to the bore caliber.

A .40/357 would be useful I think. Yes - versatility.

Yeah, I’ve seen those 45/357s on the MMP website but never really considered them. Maybe there’re worth a try. I’ve never had much luck with the 50/44 greens. Always been a fan of shooting a bullet that was a little closer to the bore caliber.

A .40/357 would be useful I think. Yes - versatility.
Yep, I'm a big fan of versatility too.
I got 2 boxes of them 50/44 bullet/sabots I'm sending to a brother member here shortly, I'll never use them.

I’m reading all this with great interest…so the trending desire is for smaller caliber higher BC bullets at super velocities…hmmm

I think this line of thinking is going to take us right to the concept of the modern centerfire cartridge…. I saw on another forum that it has already been invented.

The beauty of the 40 is with big lead and/or sabotless with BH209. Its so easy to get a 250gr moving over 2200fps and thats well into Savage MLII speeds. Plus the huge BC advantage of the 250gr 40 vs a 45cal bullet. When it comes to lead i dont really need or want to go much over 400gr for deer. Its just not needed and 330ish to 400ish grain lead 40s got a very good section density....What was a solid 100yard+ load in the 45 is now more like a 150yard+ load in the 40cal.

Great points. To me though, “versatility” means being able to use it in a wide range of hunting situations. So, if it’s not legal in the places I hunt or there isn’t a bullet available for it that is ideal for a given target animal, then I consider it less versatile.

Let’s leave predators out for a moment because if you’re saving the pelt, there’s no muzzy made that’s what we would call “fur friendly.” So if I’m shooting a predator with a muzzy, I’m not planning to save the hide. I use my .204 Ruger for that (leaves one .204” entry hole).

So for big game, my first questions are always, “What species am I hunting?” and “at what range do I want to be able to shoot it?” I think a .40 would be fine for most deer-sized game, but if I’m hunting elk, brown bear or moose, for example, at ranges of 50-100 yards average, I want a heavy controlled-expansion bullet. I don’t know of any .40s that really fit that bill. Don’t get me wrong, I’m intrigued by the .40 as well but, there’s no doubt in my mind it’s not as versatile as a .45 or .50. With a smokeless-capable .50 really being the most versatile of any muzzy out there, IMO.

Bullet selection for the .40 is very limited - Fury, Parker, Pittman and maybe Northern Precision make a couple, but they are mostly target or thin-skinned game bullets IMO. I think that will change with more of us buying .40s, but right now, there’s a lot of hunting that I do, that I couldn’t do with a .40. Terminal performance is not all about speed or energy.
“Terminal performance is not all about speed or energy”… I’m confused. Terminal performance is literally ALL ABOUT velocity and energy, and how it is transferred to its intended target. What other factors does terminal performance rely on???

45's are shooting 1,000yds with no problems.

Got a 40 that will shoot 1K? Keep an eye out in the Long Range and Target Shooting section. There's a match coming up in June IIRC. I'd like to see a 40cal CVA at the event.
I’ve literally watched a 1,000 yard hit with a .40 cal paramount… I’ve not seen any other muzzy do that. YouTube paramount 1,000 yard hit. I’ll gladly watch any videos of any other instances of muzzle loaders shooting and hitting at 1,000 yards.

I’ve literally watched a 1,000 yard hit with a .40 cal paramount… I’ve not seen any other muzzy do that. YouTube paramount 1,000 yard hit. I’ll gladly watch any videos of any other instances of muzzle loaders shooting and hitting at 1,000 yards.
Go over to the Long Range section and you'll see where we were shooting in a registered match at 800, 900 and 1,000yds at Camp Atterbury, IN. We were all shooting 45's and were limited on propellant to a maximum of 120grs VOLUME of BH209. Sighters and 10 shots for score. Nobody missed a target. I took 1st in the inaugural match last June and 45-70 took 1st in September. There's no video of it, but there are a few photos.

I can assure you, CVA shooters were invited and not a single CVA showed, nor did a CVA show at the September 1K match. CVA themselves won't come because they claim they need to shoot the rifle's maximum charge for it to be accurate. They would be limited to 120grs VOLUME like every other shooter.

As I understand it currently, there will be another match this June and again in September. You're very welcome to come and compete within the rules. I guarantee you'll have a lot of fun and learn. Shooters help one another and that makes it loads of fun.

Here's the post: First 1,000yd match

The beauty of the 40 is with big lead and/or sabotless with BH209. Its so easy to get a 250gr moving over 2200fps and thats well into Savage MLII speeds. Plus the huge BC advantage of the 250gr 40 vs a 45cal bullet. When it comes to lead i dont really need or want to go much over 400gr for deer. Its just not needed and 330ish to 400ish grain lead 40s got a very good section density....What was a solid 100yard+ load in the 45 is now more like a 150yard+ load in the 40cal.
Over 2200 fps I have had some 250 gr's at over 2700 fps in my 40 cal Knight Peregrine with blackhorn 209
that there is 300 win mag territory fella's
I don't think any game dept would scoff at using a 300 win mag on deer, elk, bear or any other animal that is normally hunted
I have asked many of the bullet makers on the performance of their bullets on game such as deer (which is what I mainly hunt) and have gotten some very good replies from them
I know 1 manufacturer even has a bonded bullet for the 40 cal even Hornady is watching the growing market of the 40 caliber arena
I would not hesitate one minute to hunt any game with the 40 as long as it is legal
FWIW I would never shoot anything with the power belt elr's other than paper or steel they are very, very accurate though
BTW I put my money out

Go over to the Long Range section and you'll see where we were shooting in a registered match at 800, 900 and 1,000yds at Camp Atterbury, IN. We were all shooting 45's and were limited on propellant to a maximum of 120grs VOLUME of BH209. Sighters and 10 shots for score. Nobody missed a target. I took 1st in the inaugural match last June and 45-70 took 1st in September. There's no video of it, but there are a few photos.

I can assure you, CVA shooters were invited and not a single CVA showed, nor did a CVA show at the September 1K match. CVA themselves won't come because they claim they need to shoot the rifle's maximum charge for it to be accurate. They would be limited to 120grs VOLUME like every other shooter.

As I understand it currently, there will be another match this June and again in September. You're very welcome to come and compete within the rules. I guarantee you'll have a lot of fun and learn. Shooters help one another and that makes it loads of fun.

Here's the post: First 1,000yd match
Well I'm not going to speak for CVA but even though it was a Paramount used to get the hits I assure you the shooter held and holds zero affiliation with CVA. I understand you have the experience of the shooting sessions you guys did at the aforementioned distances, but I can only attest to what I've seen with my own eyes. And that's to this day only one muzzleloader yet. A .40 cal Paramount... In regards to taking aim at CVA for knowing their rifles capabilities and necessities, I think the admission that the maximum charge is needed is rather honest. Rather than making claims it cannot back, they are straight forward and let you know it is going to take some more "oomph" to touch out that far accurately. Also the long spire point bullets like to be run hot, the longer bearing surface is just happier when comfortably above the 2,000fps mark, in the .40's case closer to the 3,000fps mark. When shooting out to those distances the flatter trajectory alone associated with the higher velocity justifies the larger charge. I'm too forgiving I guess. But if I crucified CVA like everyone else I wouldn't have a rifle to shoot...

Also the long spire point bullets like to be run hot, the longer bearing surface is just happier when comfortably above the 2,000fps mark, in the .40's case closer to the 3,000fps mark.
Long spire point bullet=longer bearing surface?

If the bullet length remains the same, a longer ogive means a shorter shank (bearing surface). Are you talking about a longer bullet in general or a longer ogive?

Long spire point bullet=longer bearing surface?

If the bullet length remains the same, a longer ogive means a shorter shank (bearing surface). Are you talking about a longer bullet in general or a longer ogive?
Ok. This could get all caught up in semantics. A longer bullet overall will tend to have a longer bearing surface unless you're dealing with some funky shapes. The bearing surface of a bullet is the part that rides flat and contacts the rifling. Yes that bullet has a long spire point, and, also a generous and long bearing surface. It's the shape of the bullet combined with a longer oal. So I'm talking about a longer bullet overall yes, but also as I mentioned, a longer bearing surface. This makes more contact with the rifling and needs a good boost of speed to get going. Where as a bullet with just a small strip of surface contacting the rifling will not require the same higher velocity to stabilize as the elongated ELR.

Well I'm not going to speak for CVA but even though it was a Paramount used to get the hits I assure you the shooter held and holds zero affiliation with CVA. I understand you have the experience of the shooting sessions you guys did at the aforementioned distances, but I can only attest to what I've seen with my own eyes. And that's to this day only one muzzleloader yet. A .40 cal Paramount... In regards to taking aim at CVA for knowing their rifles capabilities and necessities, I think the admission that the maximum charge is needed is rather honest. Rather than making claims it cannot back, they are straight forward and let you know it is going to take some more "oomph" to touch out that far accurately. Also the long spire point bullets like to be run hot, the longer bearing surface is just happier when comfortably above the 2,000fps mark, in the .40's case closer to the 3,000fps mark. When shooting out to those distances the flatter trajectory alone associated with the higher velocity justifies the larger charge. I'm too forgiving I guess. But if I crucified CVA like everyone else I wouldn't have a rifle to shoot...
Barry Brakebill became Spring Champion shooting his Paramount at the NMLRA in Friendship, IN. However, IIRC, Barry actually used less than 120grs VOLUME in his Paramount to do it while shooting a Parker E-Max. Barry is also a shooter who is contracted with CVA. It was the first win ever for a CVA and he didn't have to use the recommended charge from CVA. It appears that CVA might be misleading shooters that a maximum charge is required????? But that might be with "their" bullet?

https://www.ilovemuzzleloading.com/...ringing-home-the-gold-with-a-cva-paramount-40
It would be outstanding to have CVA shooters at the next Long Range match. Fun I promise.

These are 45cal., 350gr Arrowhead XLD bullets. These bullets have won both 1K matches that were held last year. .021" jackets with 120grs VOLUME.

IMG_2396.JPG

To each their own. I was going to bring up the legality factor, but I'm speaking on a purely science based test not variables such as that.Personally .40 cal bullets shot at 2,500fps in normal magnums and 2,750fps in super magnums, is very intriguing. CVA and power belt bullets have been getting knocked around good lately. And maybe for good reason. Personally though, I haven't had a bad experience with either. But cut out CVA and power belt bullets. Wouldn't you think a higher velocity and energy projectile, having a better bc and cs, would therefore be more versatile? What I mean by this I guess I should explain more thorough.
With a .50 cal projectile you're going to blow a hole the size of a basketball out of the back of a coyote, but that's great news for bear or elk. Ie bigger game. With the .40 cal again cutting CVA and PB bullets out of it, having a smaller diameter yet more down range energy and velocity, would produce that same energy needed to take game such as bear, while being smaller in diameter, making it realistic to hunt smaller game all the way down to fox and cats. (I know that is a bit much still) Having more down range energy makes the caliber more versatile for distances as well as actual game size or type. If the .40 cal has more energy at 300 than the .45 then therefore you are able to use it at a wider range of distances than a .45 would be able to be used, again using that threshold as a baseline.
So when I stated that the .40 imo is more versatile than the .45, I'm speaking purely of it's VERSATILITY. Not CVA or PB's terminal performance.
I saw a 40 leave leave a metal life size Ram standing at 500 yds last Spring at NMLRA Nationals at Friendship , so don't know how versatile with ELR bullets

Latest posts

Back