cva accura lr-x = poor results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart volan

Reaction score
I sent gun back to cva for poor results with 3 different PB's and Barnes TEZ and TMZ's using 100 and 150 grains of white hots....GUARANTEED ACCURATE they said......It was returned this week with a "target" showing a 3 shot group at 100 yards and 2 1/2 inch groups using (win ML 209 primers, 100 grain, 2@ 777 pellets, 295 copper PB). I called them to follow up and they said they recommend this set up for best accuracy...Best?? Anyway, I shot it yesterday, the only difference being 2@ white hot pellets, and cleaned meticulously between shots . Results are worse... FYI with the exact same set up, my TC pro hunter shoots inside an inch at 100. I bought the lr-x thinking it would give me a little more reach and it is much less $ than the paramount. Here is my question: "when the barrel is locked in place, should there be any play in the barrel?" there seems to be a lot of 'wobble'. And yesterday, when I switched to a stainless breech plug, half way through the session I noticed the hammer did not want to lock in place. I'm wondering if the gun is defective? My TC locks up tight. I am considering trying the 777 pellets because at 76, my old eyes make using powder too difficult. So any thoughts?

If you have a locked up barrel that wobbles I'd say that's exactly what your problem is. You can't shoot any kind of a good group when the barrel wobbles with every pull of the trigger. I'm absolutely amazed that CVA didn't check for that. Seems pretty basic. Really wondering now days what's going on with them. Guns with oversized bores? Guns that will only shoot PB's? You kidding me? Poor management that has no understanding of muzzy's? I bought my Optima probably four years ago and it can keep up with any other gun I own. I think I'm done with them. Knight Ultra Lite, Woodman Arms Patriot? Those sure punch my ticket. If I ever get the funds I'll order the Woodman fifty cal with 1in24 twist of

If I’m not mistaken the barrel wobble is a easy fix with the adjustable feature cva has on that rifle.

Its a break open, thus has a hinge. If the barrel is wobbling, then there is most likely the issue.
Pull off the forearm. If that barrel wobbles in the frame, its the hinge pin.
You are correct. It wobbles in frame but I’m not seeing any adjustment? Or am I missing something. And thanks.

You are correct. It wobbles in frame but I’m not seeing any adjustment? Or am I missing something. And thanks.
There isn't any adjustment, short of replacing the hinge pin. That .... may .... require reaming of the holes in the frame itself to accommodate the larger pin.
It's been pretty evident since Covid, that the CQ had really dropped. Because of who's in the market place, CVA had the lead. No doubt. However, look over some of the older posts. OMG
The rifle is not supposed to wobble between the barrel and frame. Two things............ Call CVA and explain what's going on and maybe they'll repair it. Or, take it to a good gunsmith that knows what he/she is doing and have them install a new pin.

Do me a favor.......... post a close up of the hinge with the forearm off.

Not sure if this pic is gonna work but I just got gun back from them and supposedly they checked it over. It takes hours to get through to them by phone.

Attachments

• BB5AC7F4-7009-4211-9986-097C5AEBD512.jpeg
    BB5AC7F4-7009-4211-9986-097C5AEBD512.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1
Not sure if this pic is gonna work but I just got gun back from them and supposedly they checked it over. It takes hours to get through to them by phone.
If your hinge pin is snug in the frame with no wobble you can back screw B out to adjust out the wobble in your barrel. The lug on the barrel is like a hook if you will. backing out screw B will pull the lug tighter to the pin.

If your hinge pin is snug in the frame with no wobble you can back screw B out to adjust out the wobble in your barrel. The lug on the barrel is like a hook if you will. backing out screw B will pull the lug tighter to the pin.
You must still be talking about a loose forearm and not a barrel wobble??

If you pull the lug tighter to the pin, how does that affect head space?

Latest posts

Back