cva accura lr-x = poor results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this pic is gonna work but I just got gun back from them and supposedly they checked it over. It takes hours to get through to them by phone.
If your hinge pin is snug in the frame with no wobble you can back screw B out to adjust out the wobble in your barrel. The lug on the barrel is like a hook if you will. and backing out screw B will pull the lug tighter to the pin.
You must still be talking about a loose forearm and not a barrel wobble??
I never handled a Mrx or lrx but I have tightened up old H&R rifles and shotguns by shimming the plastic or steal piece on the forend that rides on the receiver and it will fix a small wobble. To me if you back out screw b on the forend adjustment it will pull the hook on the lug closer to the pin and take away some wobble. That said if there is anything way out of wack it probably won’t work and other things would need to be fixed.

In a muzzleloader it’s no big deal because head space issues can be solved by shimming the firing pin bushing or primer pocket or using a oring in the primer pocket.

It would increase it a little. The adjustment isn’t for huge amounts of wobble.

And that's what happens with poor quality and band aids. Sounded like he has significant wobble.

In a muzzleloader it’s no big deal because head space issues can be solved by shimming the firing pin bushing or primer pocket or using a oring in the primer pocket.

Again, something that one shouldn't have to do. If it were my rifle, it would be going back to CVA. They wouldn't like me.........

........: "when the barrel is locked in place, should there be any play in the barrel?" there seems to be a lot of 'wobble'. .....

it's sad but true that sometimes the first run of something new and/or improved has manufacturing/assembly mistakes and the first run of customers are kind of like guinea pigs :( . add world wide covid shutdowns/restarts combined with new employees that don't or barely have a clue .......

hopefully CVA is on top of this and will do right with their customers . their response will definitely decide for me IF i decide to go with a mr/lr-x .... IF i decide to upgrade , or go with another brand .

If your hinge pin is snug in the frame with no wobble you can back screw B out to adjust out the wobble in your barrel. The lug on the barrel is like a hook if you will. backing out screw B will pull the lug tighter to the pin.
Thanks. Got it.
it's sad but true that sometimes the first run of something new and/or improved has manufacturing/assembly mistakes and the first run of customers are kind of like guinea pigs :( . add world wide covid shutdowns/restarts combined with new employees that don't or barely have a clue .......

hopefully CVA is on top of this and will do right with their customers . their response will definitely decide for me IF i decide to go with a mr/lr-x .... IF i decide to upgrade , or go with another brand .
I spoke with CVA’s rep today. Posted pics and video of wobble. They said “this gun was inspected and passed their accuracy test. The wobble is normal and doesn’t affect accuracy. There is nothing more to do at this time “. So there you have it!!! They suck and I have no problem passing that on, should anyone ask.

I thanked them for completely blowing my concerns off and will tell everyone I know my dissatisfaction of CVA. Told them I’ll continue to shoot my TC pro hunter and put their gun deep in the bowels of my attic where it belongs. I’ll probably sell or consign it. Time to turn the page.

,,,,,,,,,,. The wobble is normal and doesn’t affect accuracy...........
Whoever told you that, is full of ship. Period.

Someplace here on the site, likely archived, there's a post about how "wobble" or a loose hinge pin will affect the POI at 200yds. With only .002" play! IIRC, .002" will throw the bullet up to 6" at 200yds. I probably have the data boxed up someplace. I ended up getting a math professor to help.
A guy I know had issues with a Traditions. They wouldn't help him at all. Imagine that!
He took the muzzleloader out to his shop and cut the barrel up in 1" pieces along with every thing else, then mailed to Traditions. LOL
He bought a Knight and has been happy since/

Last edited:

Someplace here on the site, likely archived, there's a post about how "wobble" or a loose hinge pin will affect the POI at 200yds. With only .002" play! IIRC, .002" will throw the bullet up to 6" at 200yds. I probably have the data boxed up someplace. I ended up getting a math professor to help.
A guy I know had issues with a Traditions. They wouldn't help him at all. Imagine that!
He took the muzzleloader out to his shop and cut the barrel up in 1" pieces along with every thing else, then mailed to Traditions. LOL

I have had only good cs experiences with CVA. I would not give up so easy and would ask to speak with a supervisor before telling of the problem to another in their cs department. If your action has slop after lock-up that is not normal or acceptable from a new rifle. They should replace it imo, if they don't I would remind them of the low cost of good PR compared to bad reviews being made public on the many public platforms such as this MB.

I can give you firsthand news on a wobble hinge pin. Just before the Thompson Center Factory burned I had a custom Encore in 308 built. After receiving the gun you could tell by the select walnut wood and diamond etched scroll work on the receiver this was the ultimate workmanship. First trip to the range I had 5 hand loads worked up from other guns just for starter testing. Bore sighted by eye and test fired. Moved the cross hairs accordingly. No matter which way I moved the cross hairs it would not hold a pattern, not even close. I suspected the scope and swapped it. While having the gun vised up I noted a very loose wobble of the barrel to receiver. Contacted Thompson only to find the place had burned and not able to do anything more than take calls. It took 9 months to get anything done about it but the gun had sub MOA after being rebored for a larger pin. If anyone tells you a little wobble doesn't matter. Tell them to do the math and proof fire the gun. It means everything to accuracy.

There is a adjustment point in the hinge pin the pin is not perfectly round. The pin could be bent I would send the gun back and get it fixed.

maybe in a year or two the MRX series will be better after CVA figures out that folks won't buy guns that wobble and aren't accurate .
is CVA's optima series still safe to buy ?

Back