CVA Accura MR Failed failed my hunting test!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I've been playing with this gun for awhile now. Probably one of the best feeling Break open Muzzleloader's I've ever shot. But at the end of the day I just don't trust it for hunting.

1- the main reason is the breech plug. Though I like the concept, it's very poorly designed and probably the worst breech plug I've ever used in today's modern muzzleloaders. It really reminds me of the older Knights. Very dirty, lots of blow back, and in my testing unreliable ignition. I should mention to, the plug has been modified with a 5/32 flame channel and a ventliner. I don't have a doubt with proper care and cleaning it would work reliably for anyone. That's just not how I treat them. When testing I shoot I think a lot, and I don't clean the plug. It's over kill for sure, but I like to be prepared for the worst.

The gun in my eyes is very accurate, good trigger, and handles very well. I would like to see a redesign in the plug using the same concept. And make the gun out of better materials and charge more for it. But right now I think the gun is over priced but I guess everything is now a days.

I would of liked to keep it, but when a tool doesn't do the job I get rid of it. But I think CVA has made really good progress, and they need to keep working on it some more.

my optima had bad blow back with Winchester primers, when I switch to CCI 209m for blackhorn the blowback was gone.

will see what happens with my MR, received today and love how it feels. sounds like the oring trick fixes the blowback issue but its dumb that its a issue to begin with. Think that the engineering department would be able to solve it pretty simple during testing.

sawtoothscream said:
my optima had bad blow back with Winchester primers, when I switch to CCI 209m for blackhorn the blowback was gone.

will see what happens with my MR, received today and love how it feels. sounds like the oring trick fixes the blowback issue but its dumb that its a issue to begin with. Think that the engineering department would be able to solve it pretty simple during testing.

That's kind of backwards. The Winchester primer is longer than the CCi. It should have had less blowback.

Interesting.....

How many shots before u have trouble when not cleaning?

Is it a BH209 breech plug?

Any photos of the vent liner end?

Ever try a shim in the firing pin retainer bushing?

For me, the Bh209 breech plug works great and no blowback in my Apex and Accura.

Just curious, what changes would you recommend to the BH209 breech plug?

sawtoothscream said:
sounds like the oring trick fixes the blowback issue but its dumb that its a issue to begin with. Think that the engineering department would be able to solve it pretty simple during testing.

They sell a shim kit that will eliminate blowback. I bought one for $6.

It's more of a 209 problem. Different brands are different dimensions so if the breech plug is built for short primers, your favorite long primer may not allow the action to close without a hard snap which could cause the primer to accidentally go off. When the breech plug is made for longer primers, your favorite short primer gives blowback. I personally like to be able to choose which primer I want to use. I use Winchester 209s and they give no blowback in our two CVAs.

BuckDoeHunter said:
Interesting.....

How many shots before u have trouble when not cleaning?

Is it a BH209 breech plug?

Any photos of the vent liner end?

Ever try a shim in the firing pin retainer bushing?

For me, the Bh209 breech plug works great and no blowback in my Apex and Accura.

Just curious, what changes would you recommend to the BH209 breech plug?

I would shorten the plug, and make sure the barrel tolerances were tightened so the plug could be head spaced at the factory properly. I have heard rumours that the breech plug threads are weak as well, so I would make the breech plug out of 17/4 to make it more durable and safe at the same time. But I have had no problems with threads so far. But like I said, I don't clean it but I will today. This is a short version to answer your question about what I would change. Flame channel, primer pocket, and a couple other things would change as well while testing.

Huh...my Acura MR is on the Fed Ex truck. I do wish I had read this before hitting buy button.

All previous discussions/reviews on this ML were overwhelmingly positive, but considering the source of this review I give it plenty of weight.

I guess I'll see how it works out for me. I am a relatively low volume MK shooter, and if reliability calls for borderline OCD cleaning, that's not an issue for me.

Tannhauser said:
Huh...my Acura MR is on the Fed Ex truck. I do wish I had read this before hitting buy button.

All previous discussions/reviews on this ML were overwhelmingly positive, but considering the source of this review I give it plenty of weight.

I guess I'll see how it works out for me. I am a relatively low volume MK shooter, and if reliability calls for borderline OCD cleaning, that's not an issue for me.

You'll have no worries at all. But I would have the plug modified and make sure the plug is clean before your hunting season starts.

I completely disagree with your assessment of the CVA BP. I have purchased 3 Accuras and have had absolutely no problems with them OTHER than using the O-Ring to prevent the primer blow back. They are accurate, rugged and easy to clean and maintain. The O-Ring allows me to use any primer regardless of the length. We use T7 & BH209 and have never had a misfire. I can clean the BP in less than 5 minutes.

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

Tannhauser said:

Don't let the resident CVA Basher scare you off your purchase. I wouldn't give anything he posts any weight whatsoever, unless you need some organic fertilizer

You bought the best tip-up muzzleloading hunting rifle being manufactured today. Not even a contest there.

Enjoy your new rifle!

I have to be honest. The whole time I was reading the review all I could think of was the guys that walk in the shop talking about their engines never last. When you ask them about normal maintenance they tell you "I don't have time to mess with that! It should run without me having to mess with it!" Ha-Ha I own 2 Optima V2's and I've had no issues with them at all. Both will shoot under 1.5 inch groups at 100yds with a few different charge weights and bullet combos. I do clean them good before and after hunting season and run a small drill bit in the breech plug to clean it out occasionally. It's just normal maintenance and takes about 10-15 minutes.

I can tell you I shot my Accura MR a ton this summer. I tested multiple primers, powders, and bullets looking for the best load for my hunt.

I settled on BH 209 and bought the factory BH 209 breech plug. No modifications were made to it. I have had zero issues with ignition including a 5 day hunt in heavy rain and humidity.

Blowback was minimal and non existent with my CCI mag primers.

IMO, the Accura is a fantastic muzzleloader.

I have 2 Accura's both in .45 and 2 MR in .50..and have shot them a ton and never had any blowback..all have the Western Powder BH209 breech plugs in them also..not the CVA ones...they may even be the same who knows..I had 3 rifles shimmed by Carlos before he sent them to me and 1 I did my self with a shim kit...the 3 primers I have used have been the Win 209..Fed 209 and Fiocchi 209..none have ever leaked...these guns are shot quit a bit..no modifications to the plugs ..just cleaned with seafoam to cut any carbon ..

These rifles are very accurate ..as I own a bunch of Knights also and the CVA will keep up with the Jone's..

I have tested these rifles in cold weather leaving them outside over night in -10 degrees and shot next day...never once have I have a mis fire...

for the money the CVA is a worthy rife ..and very accurate..

Al-53 said:
I have 2 Accura's both in .45 and 2 MR in .50..and have shot them a ton and never had any blowback..all have the Western Powder BH209 breech plugs in them also..not the CVA ones...they may even be the same who knows..I had 3 rifles shimmed by Carlos before he sent them to me and 1 I did my self with a shim kit...the 3 primers I have used have been the Win 209..Fed 209 and Fiocchi 209..none have ever leaked...these guns are shot quit a bit..no modifications to the plugs ..just cleaned with seafoam to cut any carbon ..

These rifles are very accurate ..as I own a bunch of Knights also and the CVA will keep up with the Jone's..

I have tested these rifles in cold weather leaving them outside over night in -10 degrees and shot next day...never once have I have a mis fire...

for the money the CVA is a worthy rife ..and very accurate..

That's great information thanks. Most that have these Muzzleloader's have blowback and fix with o rings or shims. Yours has none at which is great, but validates getting tighter tolerances so they are more consistent. I would like a MR in 45 caliber if they make one I'll check on that. Thanks for replying!!

I shimmed the action not the plug...I used the shims till I just has a slight crush fit..carlos told me how to do it since the ones he did were perfect...they were shimmed for the shortest primer and I forget which it was either the Fiocchi or Federal...the Win are the longest I get a little more crush on the Win but safe..not hard to closer or stuck primers...I just got some CCI 209 mag primers since they started showing up again around here...have not tried them but will soon...to be honest the Fiocchi work great..I think another member here uses them also...

The western CVA plug states this The Blackhorn QR breech plug kit is specifically designed for the CVA Optima, Wolf and Accura V2 rifles. Its larger flash channel and flash hole dimensions transmit more heat to the powder charge for stronger ignition.

the one Sold on CVA does not ..does not say larger flash channel or and flash hole...

Also ..Grouse good luck on your hunts..I hope you bring the meat home..

Al

How does tighter tolerances help? People use different primers which vary at length. We have the same issue here that there is with the Knight and headspace. It is best to just shim the action for whatever primer you use, takes only a couple minutes to do.

chaded said:
How does tighter tolerances help? People use different primers which vary at length. We have the same issue here that there is with the Knight and headspace. It is best to just shim the action for whatever primer you use, takes only a couple minutes to do.

The tighter tolerances in the barrels help for more consistent space so you could take a CCI primer in my opinion to make your head spacing more consistent. The CCI primers in my opinion are more in the middle of primers in size.

Btw- none of my new Knights are shimmed at all.

CVA doesn't want any crush fit. That's why they come a little loose. You don't ever want to tell them you have the gun setup to crush the primers.

Back