CVA ACCURA V2 LR QUESTIONS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New to your site and have been looking at old posts to get some more information on the CVA Accura V2 LR. I have one waiting under the Christmas tree for me hopefully and have not ordered a scope yet but was leaning towards the Leupold Ultimate Slam 3x9x40. Seems most here on this site like the Blackhorn 209 powder but after reading the Online User manual for this gun,CVA says I can use the "magnum" charge of 150 grains equivalent of pelletized black powder substitute. The manual also stated that magnum loads of loose powder may be used but not recommended because of their inefficient and incomplete burning of the powder.
I hunt a 200 acre farm where you can see for hundreds of yards and see plenty of deer and coyotes on any given hunt. So this was one of the reasons I decided to go with this model hoping I can get the gun dialed in with a load where after some practice could take a 200 yard shot with confidence. I have always used 150 grain 777 pellets/300 gr Hornady SST sabots in my old Omega I just sold and the gun was extremely accurate out to 150 yards with that load. I did order the BH209 breech plug and already received it but at this point was perhaps going to stick with the original breech plug and go the 777 pellet route, at least starting out.
So was wondering what some of you guys thought about this new rifle and which scope and load to possibly go with?

Thanks in advance,
G Money

The Omega had what...a 28" barrel?

2" more barrel will hardly make a difference in muzzle velocity. You will gain less than 100fps. Probably only around 50fps. There are bullets with a higher BC than the 300gr SST that will shed less velocity at longer ranges. You will find it much easier to dial in a accurate long range load with loose powder. MV and BC are meaningless if the load isn't very accurate.

Someone had a Zeiss Conquest on sale for $299 recently. These were the older Conquests, not the new HD5s. Heck of a deal for a Zeiss.

Found it and its still on sale.
http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-conquest ... 09920.aspx

Welcome to the board :D

200yd accuracy should be achievable I would think, with not much issue. Regarding that gun in particular... I can't remember anyone posting that they had that new one, maybe they did. You could do a search I guess. Many folks here regularly shoot farther than 200yds with multiple loads, and very good accuracy. Again, maybe not out of that rifle...but its being done - I'm sure it can be done with yours. 120gr BH209 is western's max recommended load. I know some folks use more (against recommendation), but 120 is pretty stout, especially with a 300gr bullet. It would probably put you a smidge over 2000fps is my guess, and should have excellent energy out at 200yd. How does 120gr BH stack up to 150gr of T7 pellets? Probably pretty close, but I don't know for sure.

The scope.. it seems its a love it or hate it - probably primarily due to whether someone likes that style of reticle or not. Many prefer a simple duplex, even for longer ranges. Some use Leupold CDS.
From what I've seen, the folks that have them and use them as designed say they work great. I have not shot one so I can't comment...but I think the overall thoughts are pretty good on it. Hard to go wrong with w Leupold. Hopefully someone that uses that scope for longer range shooting can chime in for you with more detail. Stick around, great place here.

I had the Leopold ultimate on my Redemption and really didn't care for it. I'm leaning towards the Nikon inline xr with five inches eye relief. I have the xr on my triumph and love it. Imo one of the best BDC's on the market. It also costs less.

One of my buddies said by me going with the Zeiss Conquest, I now do not have a BDC reticle scope like the Leupold Ultimate Slam or Nikon BDC offers. So, what is that going to mean for me for ranges say past 100 yards? Thanks

G Money said:
One of my buddies said by me going with the Zeiss Conquest, I now do not have a BDC reticle scope like the Leupold Ultimate Slam or Nikon BDC offers. So, what is that going to mean for me for ranges say past 100 yards? Thanks

Yes, that is correct. Depending on your load, you can still be pretty accurate out to 200 with no issues. You just have to see where it shoots, and set your sights accordingly. It may be that 2" high at 100 gives you the ability to hold dead on from up close, out to 200. I have no idea, that is all up to the load you shoot and how flat your rifle shoots that load. You should be able to use a ballistic calculator to get you close, but you still have to verify on the range.

That is one of the nice things about the BDC type scopes... Leupold, Nikon, etc. Once its dialed in, you are pretty good to go - even at much further distances. Like I said before, the folks that like the BDC scopes - usually really like them because of that feature.

G Money said:

It means you won't have a BDC reticle and if you wish to do any hold over for distance compensation, you have to estimate. This really isn't an issue for deer, as there are many hunting load combinations that drop about 12" at 200 yds. Some shooters, myself included prefer not to have a BDC reticle.

I have been looking and researching this rifle, and the standard Accura w 27" barrel, definitely seems to shot a variety of loads well.
One big bonus I did stumble upon compared to Optima is the MAX range data book http://www.maxmuzzleloader.com/products ... Books.html,
This seems to give a tremendous time and money saving over try this, try that approach to typically dialing in a new rifle, not to say read, stuff, hunt: but there sounds like a huge amount of info on good accurate loads, and their downrange ballistic performance.
I am in a similar hunting situation, I would also mention blind construction as important to be able to pull off long range shots effectively.

Latest posts

Back