CVA Apex - 300 Harvester Scorpion PT Gold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Since I got my Harvester order in this evening I decided to grab the Apex, 110gr Blackhorn209 and the 300gr Harvester Scorpion PT Golds with Hrvester E-Z Load " Black Smooth" Sabots.

Took my first shot, made adjustments and then took 3 more. I just laughed out loud after the last shot because I couldn't believe I nailed the perfect load the first time out of the box. I did cheat though, I left my Caldwell tack driver bag rest out in the rain and so its stiff until the sun comes out to bake it soft again, and so that left me with my FCX lead sled. I haven't shot off of it in MONTHS believe it or not. My head sure appreciated it though! No headaches today for a change.

I'll upload pictures later tonight after I resize them. Net is running slow right now.

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

Nice going Jon! I wasn't so lucky my last time out shooting. The stars and planets were lined up for you! What was the range?

Tomorrow I am going for 150 yards. 100 yards with this gun as I found out, is........ boring. :lol!: 

Very nice, Jon!!  Not a dang thing boring about that!  I can't wait to see a 200 yard group from the Apex next.

Got out today first at 150 yards and then went to 100 yards where I could set up my chronograph. It was set out at 10 feet.

110gr Blackhorn209
300gr PT Gold with E-Z load sabot
CCI 209M primer
10 minutes between shots to keep bore cool and consistent.

2014-2022-2023 = 2019 FPS Avg.

It was n ice to see that there was only Aprox. 1" of drop from 100 yards to 150 yards.
IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

Jon

I used the same load for my Elk hunt in Utah. I used 80gr BH209 though.  When I shot to 200 yds. (Bushnell D O A 250) the load printed just left of center 3 in.  Check my post JCORD 1st muzzleloader elk hunt.  It brought down a bruiser.  Great load combo.

Joe

Very nice Jon. Looks like you are getting about 500fps more than I am for a 300 gr bullet using BH 209 versus the 100grs of white hots I used for the XTP.

Awesome shooting FG...and amazing velocity for 300 grainers :!:

Jon, what velocity do you get from 100 gr of BH and a 250 grain bullet?  Max Muzzleloading has it down around 1850 fps.  What have you been getting..ballpark?

I'd have to run it through the chronograph. I have the 260gr PT Gold and can give that a try later this evening.

That would be much appreciated.  I had my CDS dial etched off of Max Muzzleloading's published fps for my bullet/powder combo.  I sighted my gun in at 100 and all of my settings are off (high)  After some shooting at 150, 175 and 200 yds, it seems that my load is running closer to 1950 fps.  Thank you, Jon.

Raining right now so this evening if the rain lets up, I'll have some numbers for you.

Its hard to base FPS off others readings basically due to elevation, where that shooter is aiming, heat, gun barrel being cold/hot. I always give 10 minutes in between shots though.

Tony said:
Jon, what velocity do you get from 100 gr of BH and a 250 grain bullet?  Max Muzzleloading has it down around 1850 fps.  What have you been getting..ballpark?
1923 AVG for 3 shots with 260gr PT Gold.

Latest posts

Back