CVA carbine at the range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took the little carbine out this morning for a few shots.
First 3 at 25 yards with the round ball, not bad
Moves out to 50 yards. First two shots were with my old Hornady PA conicals, not happy with the results, so I went back to the round ball for my last series. I had to adjust my hold and aim a bit but my last 3 shots grouped up very well. A little to the left but I can work on that.
.490 ball, 010 cotton spit patch over 70 Grains (V) of 3f Goex.20220702_075055.jpg20220702_091405.jpg20220702_085333.jpg

Great start. I have a White Mt Carbine I use when I'm working with kids and there's always one that can't use a normal size gun. IMG_7282.JPG

I'm part of a group that works as volunteers to keep the muzzleloading program alive in a local Scout camp. This young lady was the daughter of a Scoutmaster and a crack shot as well. To date, I'd say she was probably the best shot I've worked with or seen since we started the program.

I got to the range yesterday morning about 7:30, for my 2nd outing with the carbine. It was already about 80 degrees, so I didn't plan to stay long.
My first two shots were with a couple of 195 grain powerbelts that I had left over, with a 70 grain (v) charge of Triple 7 2f.
Results, 1 hit very high left, next shot hit low left.
Switched to .495 ball, .010 spit patch, same powder charge.
4 shots, very nice group and almost in the bullseye at 50 yards.
I guess that barrel just likes the round ball best, so I'll leave it at that. Funny thing is that when the barrel was 26 inches, it shot conicals better than the ball.
I think a few more trips to the range and the little gun will be ready for deer season.

It may be that taking off the extra length of the barrel on a 1:48 just upset the ability to get consistency with sabots or full bore lead bullets in that particular gun? I know pistols with much shorter 1:48 barrels can shoot some full bore lead bullets very well. It might just be that particular gun.

It may be that taking off the extra length of the barrel on a 1:48 just upset the ability to get consistency with sabots or full bore lead bullets in that particular gun? I know pistols with much shorter 1:48 barrels can shoot some full bore lead bullets very well. It might just be that particular gun.
Sure is peculiar. Must be just the gun, like you said. My old CVA Mountain Pistol will shoot the Hornady PA conicals like nobody's business.

I was just curious because it isn't like you shortened the barrel to 10" , it should still stabilize the PA conicals. If the crown wasn't square it might affect the conicals more than the PRBs.

I was just curious because it isn't like you shortened the barrel to 10" , it should still stabilize the PA conicals. If the crown wasn't square it might affect the conicals more than the PRBs.
It could possibly be off center, I guess, but to my eye it looks good.

Latest posts

Back