• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD CVA Hunter 45-70 converted Smokeless ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedog

Reaction score
This rifle is a NEW 45-70 that I sent to Hankins for converting to a smokeless ML using his direct ignition (DI) system. At the same time I starting using a CVA Apex 45-70 conversion and I liked the Apex so much that I never got around to the using the Hunter conversion. The rifle is UNFIRED in box with 25 of the Hankins DI screws (primer modules). $575 plus any applicable shipping. I live in VA. 804.720.1250

Do you know if this could be converted to either the 209 or LRMP? I have no interest in DI.

I 'believe' it would be a simple a task as swapping the breach plugs out to the applicable ignition system as I think that the Hankins break action plugs are designed to provide identical headspace. This would have to be confirmed as I am not absolutely certain. In the case of switching to a LRMP plug, the extractor would also require to be re-installed in the rifle to extract the LRMP module, that would not be a problem as I have the removed extractor for this rifle.

Kirby
Contact Hankins...its possible. The ASG conversions are setup to swap between 209 and LRMP so it might be possible for the Hankins too.

DI is actually pretty cool in the break actions. You get a bit more fps and a couple more powders will work because there is no bushing. Richard has started using 4227 which had issues in older systems.

Some ball powders that were a NO NO for vents and bushings should work too.

Hankins DI and HIS module plugs are a direct changeout. The breech plug for DI can be removed without removing the barrel or extractor.

I would be interested in a conversion like this for my son. While he won't be shooting by himself I still think DI is more than he needs to be concerning himself with. On the other hand I suppose for me to convert it to a different ignition would be very cost prohibitive.

Im curious about why you like the apex so much more than the hunter? I am saving $ for a hunter or scout conversion but may hold out if apex is worth the extra $ and effort to find one.

Im curious about why you like the apex so much more than the hunter? I am saving $ for a hunter or scout conversion but may hold out if apex is worth the extra $ and effort to find one.

Primarily the stock on the Apex, it is beefier with a higher comb and is rubber coated for a great feel. Apex also has an adjustable trigger and a slightly heavier barrel. The Apex is an awesome rifle!

If it is not sold it is a bargain at that price. No a 209 plug will not work/is not a direct changeout . The DI and HIS are direct changeouts. Also the Hunter like the Apex has been discontinued it's replacement is the blued/black
Scout, not a takedown and 25" barrel. They are a plain jane rifle like the Hunter. Mine shoots well like my Apex did.

Just curious. Did this deal go through an ffl? If it started as a 45-70 , it would have to even though it was converted to muzzleloader. It could still be fitted with a cartridge barrel.That's why the TC Encore with a muzzleloader barrel requires a 4473, but the muzzleloader only Encore ( won't accept cartridge barrels) doesn't.
The way the BATFE is behaving lately, I wouldn't want to attract their attention.
Perhaps, if it isnt already, a sticky could be added to the forum rules about this to keep folk out of trouble.

Just curious. Did this deal go through an ffl? If it started as a 45-70 , it would have to even though it was converted to muzzleloader. It could still be fitted with a cartridge barrel.That's why the TC Encore with a muzzleloader barrel requires a 4473, but the muzzleloader only Encore ( won't accept cartridge barrels) doesn't.
The way the BATFE is behaving lately, I wouldn't want to attract their attention.
Perhaps, if it isnt already, a sticky could be added to the forum rules about this to keep folk out of trouble.
Why wouldn't you send a private message if you didn't want to attract ATF attention??
Nit Wit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back