CVA identification

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennyntx

Reaction score
Just bought a .50 caliber CVA from auction it said it was a CVA Hawkens only thing on the barrel is it says connecticut valley arms 50 cal. Black powder only don't see any proof marks are made in us or Spain ser# 0002190 try to figure out what year it was made and if it was Spanish made or US made thanks

Attachments

• KIMG0115.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 3
  • KIMG0114.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 2
  • KIMG0116.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 2
Nice looking rifle. The absence of a patch box is odd as Hawken rifles do generally have one.
Could be an early model though. As far as I know, CVA used American made barrels for their early Mountain Rifles only.
I'm sure it will be a good shooter nonetheless.

Nice looking rifle. The absence of a patch box is odd as Hawken rifles do generally have one.
Could be an early model though. As far as I know, CVA used American made barrels for their early Mountain Rifles only.
I'm sure it will be a good shooter nonetheless.
Yup I was thinking that was kind of odd that it didn't have a patch box. I'm going to try and take it to the range this weekend. And see what it does was going to go today but work didn't see it that way lol

Ok thanks just thought is was odd dont say where it was made no proof marks nothing

I never owned any of them but friends had several of them back in late 70's n 80's. For the most i remember they shot well. Some where along the way some fool overloaded n blew one up or may have been more n got sued. Heck people sue if the Dr. gives them too many aspirins so nutten new there. I had a H&R .45 Huntsman with a breech plug, was a dandy prb shooter.

Yup I'm sure it's a good gun I've got several BP rifles and pistols just never had this particular one got a CVA wolf magnum stainless love it heck even have an old jukar 45 mountain rifle that shoots as good as any have a 1853 Enfield that shoots like a dream good lord im addicted I need intervention lol 😂😂😂😂

I had heard somewhere that you could tell wether it was Spanish or American made by the patchbox(3screws vs 5screws?). I thought that the earliest Connecticut Valley Arms were American made and the later were made in Spain. The earliest(American?)may not have had markings at all, or could have been on the bottom of the barrel hidden by the stock. I think that all the Spanish guns had some kind of makers mark on them somewhere, required by European gun builder rules and tradition. Name changed to just CVA after the big lawsuits and a new owner(Jukar? Dikar?)

I had heard somewhere that you could tell wether it was Spanish or American made by the patchbox(3screws vs 5screws?). I thought that the earliest Connecticut Valley Arms were American made and the later were made in Spain. The earliest(American?)may not have had markings at all, or could have been on the bottom of the barrel hidden by the stock. I think that all the Spanish guns had some kind of makers mark on them somewhere, required by European gun builder rules and tradition. Name changed to just CVA after the big lawsuits and a new owner(Jukar? Dikar?)
I took the barrel out of the stock looked everywhere nothing also has no patch box

That makes me think that it’s a very early Conn Valley Arms USA made gun. Or it was rebarreled.
Heck I don't know it does say Connecticut valley arms on it below that it says .50 caliber black powder only but that's all it has on the rifle anywhere

If the barrel is 28", it's a Frontier Rifle. If it's shorter, it's a Frontier Carbine. Not all of them were marked as such.

Nice gun!!!!!

Walt
Ok I will measure the barrel and see well just measured the barrel it's 28 inches only has a single barrel wedge

Look closely on the flat opposite of the bolster. Numbers may be just lightly marked on that side near the breech.

Maybe someone has buffed out all the info stamped on barrel. Or it has a different barrel installed in the stock. Never know what people will do n make.

Maybe someone has buffed out all the info stamped on barrel. Or it has a different barrel installed in the stock. Never know what people will do n make.
Yup that is true but I do know it is a cva barrel
Look closely on the flat opposite of the bolster. Numbers may be just lightly marked on that side near the breech.
I will get a magnifying glass out and look really close see if maybe that will let me see something

Ok I will measure the barrel and see well just measured the barrel it's 28 inches only has a single barrel wedge
Frontier Rifle. CVA didn't always mark their guns with model names. Case in point, Mountain rifle. I've only ever seen one marked as such. I'm not sure why it was.

Happy Shooting!

Walt

It is a frontier rifle , measure the barrel also the Hawken rifle has a diffrent trigger guard.

Latest posts

Back