CVA Kodiak or Optima

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nit Wit

Reaction score
I just picked up a Kodiak Pro Magnum in .50. with a fluted barrel. I have $350.00 in it. I heard that T/C stopped the from continuing production as they were very similar to the Omega.Does it have an edge over the Optima. as you can see in my avatar the optima works fine but I do like the odd ones. I'm kinda trying to quit! Do they have a muzzle loaders anonymous?
Nit Wit

I just picked up a Kodiak Pro Magnum in .50. with a fluted barrel. I have $350.00 in it. I heard that T/C stopped the from continuing production as they were very similar to the Omega.Does it have an edge over the Optima. as you can see in my avatar the optima works fine but I do like the odd ones. I'm kinda trying to quit! Do they have a muzzle loaders anonymous?
Nit Wit
You won't get help quitting on here, brother. I can tell you that i prefer the Kodiak over the Optima. Mainly because it's one piece stock and fit/feel for me were better than the Optima. Although the triggers on Kodiaks probably werent as nice as the Optima, iirc. If they were still making it i would buy another.

My Kodiak .45 is a shooter and it kills deer in a good way. I also have an Accura V2, basically the same as the Optima's action and I don't see much difference between the Accura and the Kodiak. There is the solid stock with the Kodiak, which adds some weight. The trigger on my Kodiak is about three pounds and clean on the let off. I think the Kodiak is a nice rifle. I modified the plug to use a vent liner and to recess the face to shoot BH209, which it does very nicely.

NITWIT, we are all addicted or we would not be here. There is no cure, but buying more helps. I asked my wife the other day. If my muzzleloader was hanging on a cliff edge and you were hanging on that same cliff edge, and i could only save one which would i choose? She slapped me in the gut and walked away!!! ADDICTED ALSO.

The Kodiaks are long in the barrel by 2" at 28. They are also heavier by a pound or so. My Kodiak .45 is very comfortable to shoot and is extremely accurate at 100 yards with 200 grain, .40 cal XTPs pushed by 63 weighed grains of BH209. I get the identical performance using 195 grain Barnes Expanders and the same charge of powder at 100 yards.

I bought this gun used and was able to get in touch with the fella that owned it. He said he was tired of the shooting issues when using T7 pellets or granular so he traded it for an Optima only to find he had the same issues....using T7 products of course. I guess there's a moral to the story that's been talked about here for a looong time.

I like everything about my Kodiak except the trigger. It has the heaviest trigger pull of all of my muzzle loaders. If there is information on making lighter a link to that would be greatly appreciated.

Back