CVA Mountain Pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked this up today at a pawnshop. Spent the afternoon cleaning it up and blued the barrel.
Hope to have time to take a few shots tomorrow. Figured a patched round ball and about 40 grains of 3f

Attachments

• 20200208_170049.jpg
    20200208_170049.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 34
This pistol was my first black powder pistol. I did it as a kit. I enjoyed the heck out of shooting it. If memory serves me correctly it was a .45 cal pistol and I recall getting some ballets, a miniature maxi-ball looking bullet at Cabelas and shot those with a great degree of accuracy at 25 yards. I've often thought about buying another pistol kit but so much is 50 caliber anymore and I'd like a .45.

Good to hear that yours was a good shooter. I'm hoping for the same, maybe out to 30 yards. Would like to hunt deer with it next season.

Finally got a chance to test out the mountain pistol. I only had time for about a half dozen shots but I did see that the gun shoots about 8 inches low and a bit left at 20 yards. .490 round ball, .015 lubed patch over 30 grains of 3f.
Need to do more experimenting with loads before I do any work on the sights.

Good looking Pistol :lewis: I use to have a Lyman 50 Cal, i wish i had kept it. They are fun, and inexpensive to Shoot

I spent considerable time sighting in the mountain pistol on Saturday.
Started out at 10 yards, 25 grains of 3f under a .490 round ball with a .15 patch.
The gun shot low and to the left. I moved the rear sight about 1/8 inch to the right and filed about a 1/16th inch off the front sight. She's dialed in pretty good now. I moved back to 30 yards for the rest of my session and was very happy with how the old gun shot.

Latest posts

Back