Cva mountain rifle too far gone?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmartinKy

Reaction score
A while back my father gave me an old made in USA cva 50 cal mountain rifle that he had acquired somehow years ago and set back and never messed with. I'm thinking this one may have been built from a kit due some poor fits (the butt plate and stock may even have wood filler in the gap!). Last night I won a auction on eBay to get  some of the hardware I'm missing like the ramrod thimbles wedge plates, sights , patchbox, etc. I'm still needing about $50 of assorted parts from deer creek to have it all there and the screws bubba messed up replaced. I can't seem to find much evidence of browning or blurring looks like it was left raw and looking down the barrel with a light does show some shiney rifling but there's also some little dark rust spots can't tell if it's pitted yet but I wouldn't be surprised. Looks like someone has put leather between the barrel and drum for some reason? Is this an old trick for alignment of the nipple or what? I've shot muzzleloader a little bit but this will be my first to mess around with and make a project out of, my question is does it appear to be in a condition that's worth the effort and money? 

Tried to upload a few pics but I'm struggling to get them on here off my iPhone keeps giving me a syntax error

Its hard to say without pictures, but if you run a tight patch down the bore you'll feel if its pitting. I wouldnt be scared off from a little roughness, thats fixable to a certain extent.

Email me the pictures and I'll post them. I don't do the phone thing, so I to would be lost LOL.

[email protected]

Welcome to the forum as well!

wow! DO NOT FIRE THAT BARREL! Someone removed the original drum and put a shim to keep it snug. That is a horrible incorrect way of doing it! The tang, I don't know what the hell is going on there. Im thinking someone remove the original plug and adding something they had laying around. For certain, that breech plug and drum are not factory. I don't know how much you have into it, But I would invest in a new barrel.

It is a kit gun, you can tell by all the wood that needs removing by the lock and especially the tang inlet, but that's ok, you can do a lot with a kit.

image110.jpg

image210.jpg

image410.jpg

image510.jpg

So far I have $50 invested in some parts I got off eBay so no big huge deal yet, do you know what the breechplug should look like?

FrontierGander said:
wow! DO NOT FIRE THAT BARREL! Someone removed the original drum and put a shim to keep it snug. That is a horrible incorrect way of doing it! The tang, I don't know what the hell is going on there. Im thinking someone remove the original plug and adding something they had laying around.  For certain, that breech plug and drum are not factory. I don't know how much you have into it, But I would invest in a new barrel.

It is a kit gun, you can tell by all the wood that needs removing by the lock and especially the tang inlet, but that's ok, you can do a lot with a kit.
Yeah. That contraption scares me spitless.  Talk about a great way to get someone hurt. I'd sure pull the drum and see what the heck is going on under there. Never seen anything like it.

I'll look around for a new breech plug and drum and try to restore the integrity but if not I'll knock some rust loose rub some boiled linseed oil on and have a wall hanger over the reloading bench no big deal at all like I said I'm only in $50 so far:Questuon::Questuon:

Well I actually have a USA barrel for that rifle, Just have to swap some of your parts onto it like the under rib and the tenons. It feels smooth with a tight patch and I'll basically give it to you if you cover shipping costs.

Sounds like a deal to me!!! I'd be more than greatful!!! Pm me and we will work something out

FrontierGander said:
Well I actually have a USA barrel for that rifle, Just have to swap some of your parts onto it like the under rib and the tenons. It feels smooth with a tight patch and I'll basically give it to you if you cover shipping  costs.
Now here's a good guy folks, he could have ask for lots of funds but choice to lend a helping hand. Your all right Jon don't care what Muley says (forgot that old turd isn't around, still lost in his car port).  :shock:   :roll:

Never seen a barrel so screw up. What a number they did but the barrel could be used by someone for something of the making good luck the stock looks great have fun

Latest posts

Back