CVA Plainsman

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Just found out this HOT morning that i have a new expensive shooter. I had just taken 3 shots @ 100 yards with patched round balls and i wasnt to impressed. I planned on shooting my beloved powerbelts just to see how they'd do. :evil: I regret shooting them in that Plainsman Flintlock.

Plainsman348grPowerbelt003.jpg

Plainsman348grPowerbelt004.jpg

And yes, i did run back and forth between each shot to mark it. This thing just amazed the hell out of me. I'll measure the holes later from outside to outside and see what it i come up with.

Disgusting! :lol:

Almost forgot my load info:
70gr 3F Goex, 348gr Aerotip Powerbelt ( Yes it hurt like a son of a gun) 4f Goex in the pan. Instant Ignition!

If I'm reading your post correctly, you have the 2nd & 3rd shot in the same hole, with the first shot nearby. If that's the case, that's an amazing group at 100 yards. Are we looking at a 1-1/4 " group??!!

It appears you have a VERY stable combination of rifle/Powerbelt.

You're right...an expensive SHOOTER. (Powerbelt spoiler)

I'll measure it from the outside to outside as i do not know where the middle is on those last 2 shots :lol2:

Thats correct, shots 2 and 3 into the same hole thats eggs out. I tried to get a good picture of the egg shape but its hard to capture it on camera.

Expensive but oh so good!! I emailed Powerbelt the pictures and they were impressed. Said to email them a picture of game taken and they'll send you a pack of bullets ( your choice) for free.

:shock: You must live near by and already measured the group. It did measure 1 -1/4" Outside to Outside.

Did a lot of measurin' when I bench shot. I had guys that measured to the nearest 1/8".

And yes, the Powerbelt people are good with trying to promote their product. I got a free pack of 223 Platimums from them once!

Cant go wrong with free bullets!!

I may do some more shooting with the rifle again tomorrow. Maybe some 405 grainers? :suspect:

the BIG 3...

405's? Now we're talkin' bear, moose and elk loads for sure.

grizzlybear.jpg
:affraid:

moose.jpg
:silent:

elk.jpg
;)

Well it was only 96* today so i waited until 6:30 when the sun went behind the mountain and went shooting. Spent 20 minutes searching the trail because my slip on limbsaver fell off. Turns out it had fallen off while i was swabbing the bore free of oil in my room :oops:

The 405's with 70gr 3f kick like a mule. I was seriously eye balling the 444's but im glad i did not shoot them or else one shot would have been all i needed before calling it quits. The bullets shot quite well but 8" low @ 100 yards. I prefer the 175gr round balls and the 348's as they shoot the same POI and recoil is a lot more comfortable.

I actually shot, shot #4 as i thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.
Plainsman405grPowerbelt001.jpg

With an oil free bore, shot #1 dropped badly.
Plainsman405grPowerbelt002.jpg

Call it 1" outside to outside? I can measure tomorrow.
Plainsman405grPowerbelt004.jpg

What a difference! I shot the pure lead 348gr Hollow Point today to see how it would group Vs the copper powerbelt. This was at 100 yards as usual.

I was pretty shocked.
348grLeadPBFlinter002.jpg

348grLeadPBFlinter003-1.jpg

A few days ago i took the lawn mower out back and chopped down the over growth of Oak brush. Looks nice now and can be ripped up this fall.
348grLeadPBFlinter009.jpg

some great groups with the smoke pole after this week or so i am going to the range with my smoke poles, see what i can do or what i forget

Back