CVA Powder Blowback

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mogunr

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question. Buddy of mine bought a Kodiak Pro and mounted a nice scope on it, took it out for a test ride over the weekend and was noticing gas/powder residue escaping around where the lockup on the primer area is. Is this normal? It put a good powder residue burn on his scope and he's not a happy camper! The action breaks at the trigger guard similar to my Omega and I've never had this problem with my Omega.

Yeah its common with that type of action, even the omega.

Could be taken care of with a different primer possibly.

How does it lock up against the primer? Tight?

It seems to lockup ok. Not real tight though. He was using Win. T7 primers.

screw the breech plug all the way in ,,,,, then back off a 1/4 of a turn ,that should do the trick [ both of my TRADITIONS had the same problem ] ..

If you pull the barrel/trigger action out, you will find a heck bolt with Red sealer on it, If you screw that in a little, you should be able to fine up it to lock up tight.

I have a Kodiac Magnum and it does the same thing plus it will blow back a little through the firing pin area and leave some residue on the webbing of you hand between you thumb and index finger. Just got it back from BPI after having the trigger pull lightened and they said not to worry about it. What kind of accuracy is he getting and what load is he using? (Finding CVA info is hard to come by here, most shoot other brands.)

He was trying to do some breaking-in. Just putting some rounds down the barrel. He shot mostly patched round balls :?: He also shot some Powerbelts using T7 on both. (The balls were more accurate!)

If the balls were more accurate, something aint right :lol:

Every rifle ive owned, it shot great for me right out of the box with powerbelts. My omega was a little tricky with powder and primers though.

Back