Cva ramrod getting chewed up

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandonj92

Reaction score
Hello,
I just recently got a CVA PR rifle and I have taken notice my ramrod and I’ve notice from cleaning at the range with its factory ramrod that it has been cut by the rifling pretty badly and is getting chowder. I’m pretty sure CVAwould send me a new one but we’d be back here again in 25-30 shots.
so my question is.
Anyone know of a replace Ram rod that isn’t steel or aluminum? Like carbon fiber rod with a steel core.

Traditions made one. Not sure if they still do. I bought one for cleaning but found out the tip to screw the jags in is kid pinned through and eventually gets property loose. I think you would be better to get a bore guide to keep the ramrod away from the rifling.

I think you would be better to get a bore guide to keep the ramrod away from the rifling.
I agreed, I was surprised when the rep at cva told me they use a softer Extruded ramrod to prevent damage... i shoot elr and never honestly about getting a guide for this haha.

Be aware of the fact that the ramrod is wearing the rifling at the end of the barrel , this WILL eventually cause the accuracy to go south. I recommend using a brass bushing designed for the purpose to solve both problems at the same time.

Maybe a try a Delrin ramrod. Still any abrasiveness to the crown is not good.

Simple solution- I keep plastic bore guides on hand in case I am check a barrel blank by “feel”(aka to lazy to get a bore scope out) fits perfectly and is Field serviceable- I just have to keep my jag ext in the pack.

Attachments

• 10F13FCA-3C7A-4219-BC60-F3927EF8A251.jpeg
    10F13FCA-3C7A-4219-BC60-F3927EF8A251.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 966CC8EE-5FAF-4220-B8F2-8C5DFDED1E9C.jpeg
    966CC8EE-5FAF-4220-B8F2-8C5DFDED1E9C.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 31
I use a Delrin bore guide on my aluminum ram rod and it never touches the steel.

Years ago i bought a plastic ramrod With a wooden T handle and have used that at the range as well as to clean the bore, try to only use the factory ramrod for a follow up or second shot when hunting.

I've gone through about 4 with my PR, ive had brushes and spin jags and stuff break off in them too

I am going to disagree the rod rubbing the crown can and will cause wear on the crown and will effect accuracy at some point. With that said I am not sure why you are getting that much rubbing with a gun rod. I have not had that problem with any of my rods.

I am going to disagree the rod rubbing the crown can and will cause wear on the crown and will effect accuracy at some point. With that said I am not sure why you are getting that much rubbing with a gun rod. I have not had that problem with any of my rods.
Before I had the guide you could hear it shaving off every time it touch and rifling-it legitimately sounded like running a cutting bit bouncing into aluminum- I found a delrin rod I had in my collection from something else and its actually the correct length and fits the rod guides - I Did pull my bore scope out to see if I could see any damage after cleaning it out after this last range trip- which it shot fantastically -
it doesn’t look like there was visible damage and stil has a black mirror finish and looks like the nitrate coating still intact- but I know from when I took Engineering technology classes that no matter how soft an object is there is going to be some material transfer from one to the other so I’m sure if given enough time everyone would be correct and it will damage the crown.

But that rod is some dang soft aluminum I do have to admit-

thanks to everyone for input

I bought one of the CVA collapsible rods from Muzzle-loaders. Had a vg price on them I thought. Plus I thought for the price I’d give it a try. POS -IMO.
I also have Luke’s collapsible rod which works great.
The difference is the shaft thickness. CVA one is silly thin. Luke’s is beefy.
Plus one cannot thread anything into the CVA rod.
I know it was intended for the Paramount, but come on . Make a good dependable usable product.
My rodding cents.

I approve of this message.

Remember - sandpaper is made of aluminum oxide.
Use a range Rod of Stainless Steel or coated. Muzzle guide that goes over the muzzle, if possible.
Factory rod for afield.

Remember - sandpaper is made of aluminum oxide.
Use a range Rod of Stainless Steel or coated. Muzzle guide that goes over the muzzle, if possible.
Factory rod for afield.
Yep! Saw the same issues with my CVA. Love the palm saver and it stays with the rifle in the field. The range rod (some kind of modern plastic) is used at the range ALWAYS. Should work out.

Aluminum will definitely damage steel. When exposed to air, it forms an oxide that is quite hard. Grit can also imbed in it an make a lap.
When you're finished cleaning your rifle, clean your cleaning equipment too!
Remember, most sandpaper is aluminum oxide.
Get you a bore guide and live happily ever after.

Log Cabin Shop if they have the length and diameter you need, buy one. Great rods. Cain's Outdoor Supply used to be the best source of those but I'm having trouble reaching their website today. They had/have a far greater selection of the super-rods.

Cains still offers a few choices via eBay or you can call them directly at (304) 375-7842 .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BlackPowde...edf6659ed:g:TCkAAOSwLmVXD7Y9&var=500511810274

Hello,
I just recently got a CVA PR rifle and I have taken notice my ramrod and I’ve notice from cleaning at the range with its factory ramrod that it has been cut by the rifling pretty badly and is getting chowder. I’m pretty sure CVAwould send me a new one but we’d be back here again in 25-30 shots.
so my question is.
Anyone know of a replace Ram rod that isn’t steel or aluminum? Like carbon fiber rod with a steel core.

Last edited:
Back