CVA Range Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildTurkey

Reaction score
Went to the range today and sighted in my new CVA Accura MR :D . I shot 12 rounds of Black horn 209 scale weighed to 70 gr. This pushed a 300 gr Hornady XTP in their red sabot. After a rough bore sight I was on the paper :yeah: with a 1/2 inch two shot group before any sight adjustments were made. A couple other rounds were sent down as I made adjustments and then I put eight shots in a 1 3/4 inch group high on the bullseye. I pulled a shot that opened up the group. My shoulder got a little tender after shot eight or so I can forgive the group opener shot :puke:. Even still this is a very accurate load right out the gate. This was my first use of Black horn and I must say I am quite impressed with the stuff. I only needed to clean the breech plug every few shots with a 1/8 inch drill bit and flash hole tool. All rounds slid down the barrel - NO CRUD ring :partyman: . Clean up was simple at home with a couple of wet patches, some soak time, then some dry patches, and finished off with a CLP patch. No need for o-rings or shims as blow back was minimal. This will be my hunting load for this season as I see no need to go experimenting for something better at the moment. Maybe next year I will look into Barnes or something :poke: .

My Accura has been spot on accuracy wise.

However, yesterday the front thimble tore loose from the barrel and subsequently bent the ramrod. It may be shooting with the Palm Saver installed is not a good idea.

It has been my experience that the Accura rifles aren't at all picky and will shoot a variety of bullets well. You can probably push your BH209 to 77 gn weighed without any loss of accuracy. 110 gn by volume of BH209 seems to be the sweet spot for most loads with the CVA rifles.

Were you using two ramrods at the range? Just trying to find out how the palm saver got hit by the bullet. My son & I were sighting in our Accuras & his is a MR while mine is a V2 and we got the ramrods mixed up and of course they are different lengths which could really be a problem with the shorter ramrod in the V2.

Travis299 said:
Were you using two ramrods at the range? Just trying to find out how the palm saver got hit by the bullet. My son & I were sighting in our Accuras & his is a MR while mine is a V2 and we got the ramrods mixed up and of course they are different lengths which could really be a problem with the shorter ramrod in the V2.

Only the one rod. It was not struck by a projectile, but may have come loose and caught some muzzle blast. I'm not certain, but when I posted about it in another thread a couple of members chimed in about removing the palm saver before firing.

I never shoot with the rod in the gun. I certainly wouldn't if I had something that was making contact with the barrel in such a fashion that it pushed on the barrel...barrel harmonics and all.

Tannhauser said:
Only the one rod. It was not struck by a projectile, but may have come loose and caught some muzzle blast. I'm not certain, but when I posted about it in another thread a couple of members chimed in about removing the palm saver before firing.

FWIW, I have shot hundreds of rounds through 3 different CVA rifles with the ramrods, with the palm saver, in the rifles and never had an issue. I'm not saying it can't happen but that I have never experienced it. I also never remove the rifle ramrod to load when range shooting. I leave it in place and use a separate range rod. I only use the rifle's ramrod to load in the field after taking a shot when hunting.

It just so happens that I forgot my range rod at home along with my fancy ear muffs. So I had to use the OEM ramrod all loading. I also made the mistake of replacing it back in the gun and shot. I noticed that It had moved out a couple of inches and that the palm saver was now out in front of the muzzle. It scared me a bit as I did have visions of a bullet striking the palm saver at first. But what I think happened is through the recoil impulse the rod bounces forward or got pulled out slightly by the rest I was using. Either way for the rest of the session I simply left it out of the gun - NO more worries. As a side note the rod is painted aluminum??? And is easily scratched thru normal use in loading if you are not mindful about keeping it centered in the bore. After I scratched mine I used two fingers to guide the rod. No more scratches. I am surprised that CVA does not come with a fiberglass rod. It is the one thing I would suggest CVA change on the gun. Perhaps there is an after market rod that is better? On the other hand I don't plan to use the original rod much. Hopefully it will be for follow up shots when hunting only. Oh and I carry plenty of ear bud type hearing protectors in my range box so we were good there too.

WildTurkey said:
It just so happens that I forgot my range rod at home along with my fancy ear muffs. So I had to use the OEM ramrod all loading. I also made the mistake of replacing it back in the gun and shot. I noticed that It had moved out a couple of inches and that the palm saver was now out in front of the muzzle. It scared me a bit as I did have visions of a bullet striking the palm saver at first. But what I think happened is through the recoil impulse the rod bounces forward or got pulled out slightly by the rest I was using. Either way for the rest of the session I simply left it out of the gun - NO more worries. As a side note the rod is painted aluminum??? And is easily scratched thru normal use in loading if you are not mindful about keeping it centered in the bore. After I scratched mine I used two fingers to guide the rod. No more scratches. I am surprised that CVA does not come with a fiberglass rod. It is the one thing I would suggest CVA change on the gun. Perhaps there is an after market rod that is better? On the other hand I don't plan to use the original rod much. Hopefully it will be for follow up shots when hunting only. Oh and I carry plenty of ear bud type hearing protectors in my range box so we were good there too.

Exactly what happened on Tannhauser's rifle, IMO. The shear from the muzzleblast took over from there. There is not enough surface area with just the rod alone, but if that big rubber palm saver gets out in front of the muzzle at exactly the right/wrong spot, you'll get what you got.

Back