CVA Rifle Proof Fired Yesterday

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday i took my CVA Stag Horn rifle to the range.    Received some bad recoil at the first shot.   The gun  weighs seven pounds with scope.   There were two holes in the target backer about 2.5" apart.  Yep, somehow the rifle got double loaded; details, details.   

First charge was 70 grains of 3F Goex Pinnacle, second charge was 70 Grains of Black MZ.   Was firing patched round balls.   Reloaded  and went to cap the rifle but the rear of the nipple was missing.   Cleaned and inspected the rifle.   Found nothing wrong. 

Don't do this at home or at the range.

Glad that you're OK. I double loaded a few months ago but something told me to drop the ramrod down the barrel. It stopped way short of where it should have. I pulled the first ball and shot out the second.  The ramrod can be a good friend.   

We all do careless or stupid things now and again and I am no exception. Last Sunday I shot my .338-06 AI with a muzzle brake but I forgot to move the ear muffs from the top of my head to my ears. I am now much deafer than I already was. I hear buzzing constantly and phones ringing when I yawn. :oops:

Years ago i bought a Schultz and Larsen .358 Norma magnum with muzzle brake for $250.   Even with ear muffs and a 26 inch barrel the concussion from that gun is terrible.  Besides that the right hand stock with its roll over cheek piece does a job on my cheek bone.   It ain't been out of the safe for a long time.

Good Lord, falcon. That is a blessing that it was not a serious problem. 

Any idea how that happened? If something hinky happens, I always run through a post-game check to see what I might have done differently.

Yes, i'm very lucky at that.   Must  keep repeating to myself:   "i will never again be distracted by talking with a gent two benches away while loading my muzzleloader".

Wow...Glad you're OK falcon. :face:   

Distraction while loading is the work of the devil... even for the seasoned shooter.  I'm always focusing on my powder charge.  I've taken my load out more than once because I wasn't sure of my charge.

Good reminder for all of us falcon :Red tup:

I've never double loaded my muzzleloader but I do forget to load powder about "one time" each range outing.  I'm an experience ball puller for sure!  Muzzleloading is fun but also serious business.  :twisted:

Very lucky Floyd! It would take more than that to explode, but the recoil could have really caused damage to you. I once fired a ramrod out of  a muzzleloader with a big conical. Never made that mistake again. I was thankful to have shot it off a lead sled instead of my shoulder LOL.

falcon said:
Yes, i'm very lucky at that.   Must  keep repeating to myself:   "i will never again be distracted by talking with a gent two benches away while loading my muzzleloader".

Seen this happening many times Guys at the Range shooting the bull and one of them Double loads.

What to me is worse is Hang Fire and person not knowing how to deal with it.

Was at a Range one time Guy was setting there drinking Beer, shooting an old CVA 50Cal. that hadn't been cleaned in years. No I didn't stick around.

oneshot

Back in '89 or so, I got a new .54 Lyman Trade Rifle. Somewhere in the paperwork it said to proof fire it with a double charge and a double load. Down the tube went 180gr Pyrodex RS and two 425gr Buffalo Bullets.
I tied it to my truck spare and set it off from around the garage with a string. KA-BLAM!!
It hurt my feelings to see my new gun under a 12.50 x 33 BFG in the gravel.

-Joe

Back