CVA vs Traditions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkFever

Reaction score
I was given a CVA 50 cal Hawken style kit in 1984 and was not interested in completing it. I eventually sold it. My question is how would it compare to a similar Traditions kit?
MikeW

It probably would have been a better shooting kit. The CVA mountain rifle when they first came out were very accurate rifles if you got rid of the rear sight and replaced it with a good fixed sight. I had ne years ago and sold it to a friend and as far as I know he still has it. He had a custom .40 cal built and it is  very accurate rifle, but he says it is a toss up as to which he will us in a shooting match. The only thing about the CVA is the main spring in the lock is a little weak.

Thanks, I have regretted selling it and wondering what I could have done with it.

I've built 14 of the old CVA Hawken rifles and they are a solid shooting rifle. The Traditions Hawken rifles however, I like their stocks better. They leave a ton of wood in the barrel channel and they have zero flex to them. CVA hogged their stocks out to make them lighter. They still shoot awesome, just like a little more meat in that forearm.
img_7317.jpg

I see a Traditions 50 cal Hawken under our Christmas Tree, looking forward to following your building instructions to complete a hunting rifle. I will probably have a ton of questions coming up.
Thanks for your replies and input.
MikeW

You bet Mike! They are a very fun rifle to build. Just go slow, take your time inletting the lock and trigger guard and shape that stock right!

Merry Christmas!!
I got the Traditions Hawken Kit for Christmas and will start on it after I complete a couple of other projects in my shop. I looked it over and not fond of the plastic sights. Can you recommend a similar replacement that would not require any barrel work and use the same dovetail front and screw rear attachments?
Thanks
MikeW

I bet you could find some at Track of the Wolf they have a huge selection. Al

The front sight part is easy. 
You don't do anything to the dovetail on the barrel, you file the base of the sight to fit the dovetail.

I would think the Traditions would on the same plane as C V A Hawken. Now that said your C V A was most likely a way better gun like said very accurate

I am biased. I prefer CVA. They feel much better to my hand. I have wondered if the feel of the new one's Jon has been building are better. The Traditions I own are just not as satisfying to me.

Singletree is right about the main spring on the CVA. I've had to replace mine. I would add that the trigger/sear spring also failed over time. 

I wish one of Jon's Traditions builds were nearby. I'd like to hold one. I am about to retire my 30 year old CVA from daily use. I need a new knock about, inexpensive, standard use percussion cap. I am gonna be very slow about it, but a new one is on my list.

It feels damn good in your hands! Especially with the finish that I added to mine, along with the brass nails. No cheap feeling at all. With a kit, you can really make it your own. The lock on the Traditions I like a lot better than CVA. A much heavier duty polished main spring thats heavy when you cock the hammer. They really are not bad rifles either one of them. The Traditions Hawken uses a much slender stock but very beefed up in the forearm as I stated earlier.

Latest posts

Back