CVA Wolf & 209 pics

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalberg

Reaction score
DSCF0248.jpg
75 yards 100g BH, winchester primer, 250 sst low drag sabot. lower left shot is 1st on clean barrel.
DSCF0249.jpg
same set up just lowered the charge to 90g. The one to the left was all me!

Nice shooting! Glad to see someone else shooting a CVA. I wish I could find some BH209 in my area. I'd like to see what my Kodiac Magnum will do.

Good shooting BUT...throw out the low drag sabot and use a MMP HPH 24 or Harverter and I bet you'll get more consistancy.

wolf

you gotta love those little guns. Cheap (were) , light easy to clean and just fun to shoot.

big6x6
I was wondering if my experience with them was unique, they always seem to cause some unexplainable fliers for me. Lee

Yeah, my gun (omega) does not like the low drag either. Shoot a couple in a nice group but always a couple of fliers. Went to regular short black mmp and boom, no more fliers.

I tried the sst with the supplied black sabot which I thought you said was the HPH-24. The first shot was almsot off the targe left just caught the edge of the paper, it could have been me I guess but I thought the shot seemed good when I took it. The other four shots were good but not as well as with the low drag sabot. They loaded quite a bit harder and almost seemed somewhat inconsistant in loading, a couple seemed looser than the other three, but still not as easy as the low drags. I also tried the Scorpion PT Golds with the Harvester CrushRibs, they just didn't group as well for me, loading was easier again than the HPH-24 prettyy close to the low drags. I dont know maybe this Wolf has a tight bore? I know most have stated that BH 209 likes a tight sabot but how tight is tight? I can only say for a new guy that hasn't shot much I was pretty happy with the results, and I dont think there should be a problem on a deer. I will probablly do more shooting with the black sabots to try them again, but should do as others have said, throw out the supplied sabots and order some so I know exactly what I have.
Doug

Nice Shooting.. those Wolf rifles seem to shoot well.

dalberg,

My CVA Wolf has a tight barrel. The Hoornady 250SSTs w/ the Low Drag sabots were the only packaged bullet / sabot that I would be able to load a 2nd shot in the field without a wet & a dry patch between shots.

Regarding grading the ease / difficulty of loading, I have read on one of these forums the following:
- 1-hand loose or sloppy
- 1-hand snug
- 2-hand snug
- 2-hand + mallet tight

For BH209 powder, you will probably get your best accuracy with a 2-hand snug fit.

Good luck and Happy Hunting.

Back