CVA-Wolf & powerbelts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbird

Reaction score

GANDER; SORRY TO REPORT WE WERE SHOOTING MY FRIENDS CVA .50 CAL 'WOLF' INLINE THIS MORNING 7 IT DID NOT LIKE THE 80 Grg. BH209.

Afetr shooting 3 rounds ea. Hornady .250 gr. w/black sabot & 3 TC/250 gr SST/w blacl sabot into nice groups in a 2" bullseye.....I gave him 3 of my .245 gr. Aero tip Powerbelts & they shot 5 " left of the bullseyeat 9'0'Clock Needless to say he was not impressed with either :cry: :cry: :cry: But I must also say that his barrel was about 4" shorter than my CVA Pro Kodiak Magnum, his was more like a CARBINE!!!!
Maybe that was the cause, eh?????????

the REDBIRD

How did they group? With different powders and such, adjusting the sites will always be common. Going for group size is what you are looking for. With a new rifle you have to try an assortment of bullets to find what it likes the best. But just because it shot 5" to the left, that doesnt tell me anything about how it was grouping. Thats just common sight adjustment. I am thinking about buying a wolf. Dicks sporting goods usually has them on sale for $80

CVA WOLF

It shot the Hornady .250 gr. w/ black sabots(supplied) really good ....a little over one inch triangle it just didn't seem to like the Powerbelts. I just measured my CVA Kodiak Magnum & it's barrel is 28" total, the WOLF barrrel was 4" shorter.

Redbird

Yeah its only a 24" barrel on the wolf. But like i said, With muzzle loaders, You cant expect to go out on the range with one type of projectile/one powder and expect it to be shooting one hole groups. What works in someone elses rifle, dont mean it will work in the next rifle of the same make and model. Tweaking the rifle's load is all part of the fun. But thats good he found a load that works right off the bat. Make sure he writes down all the info for each bullet/ powder combo he trys and then he can move on to the next and maybe find something that does even better!

I think it will be difficult to beat real black powder for powerbelts. The pressure curve is steep in the initial burn and expand the bullet to bore diameter more rapidly. This will give the projectile better twist IMHO than the BH209.

Redbird,

From one CVA Wolf shooter to another I would keep trying different loads, powder and bullets like FG suggested.
It took me a bit until I found what mine liked. I will hopfully being do more testing with a new Wolf soon.

I'm like you FG. I like the challenge of finding a hunting load with acceptable hunting accuracy and precision. I believe every muzzleloader has its "preferred " load, and is capable of at least 3 inch groups at 100 yards. It drives me crazy when shooters say their smoker will not shoot.

Like you said, the fun part of muzzleloading is taming that smoker :!: :)

I don't know redbird, but I wouldn't give up yet with BH209. Even though I don't own one, I'd like to have a WOLF...kinda reminds me of the 'ol 30-30 brush gun I used to tote around. Nice and compact :)

;) 8)

I agree with you Marty and FG :!: :!: Half the battle is finding out whats right for your rifle. :cheers: Took me awhile and many different powders, primers and sabots and bullets to find out what my accura likes. :scratch: :scratch:
Redbird, you have to send some time at the range with differnt components and you'll find the right one.

GOOD LUCK AND DON'T GIVE UP :no: :no: :no:

Latest posts

Back