CVA Wolf Scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug2020

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m looking to purchase my first muzzleloader and have pretty much made my mind on a CVA Wolf.

They offer combos with scopes, iron sights and also one with rings but no scope.

I don’t want to use irons and I have heard the scopes provided in the combo are pretty rubbish so I’m leaning towards the one that comes with rings.

I am just wondering the following:

1. Are the rings that come with the CVA trash? I know you can do better by buying a rail and your own rings but for a beginner not looking to spend a tone will they do the job or are they going to be a headache?

2. For optics I’d like to stay budget as well and want to buy Vortex. Leaning towards a Crossfire II 2-7x32. Does anyone see any issues with this (eye relief, size...etc) shots are expected to be under 100 yards.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hello I have CVA Accura package. Yes while the basic Konus scope that would come with a wolf package is suspect at best, the Konus Pro 3x10x44 that came with my Accura is not bad. I mounted it on my older TC 54 cal. Firehawk and it does just fine. Question #1, No the Cva mounts are not trash, they are extremely solid and you would do just fine with them. Question #2, I understand budget well, but here is my 2 cents. Vortex is a good product but you can get a American made Leupold VX1 3x9x40 for 189.00 from several online retailers and have a quality scope with superior brightness and the Leupold lifetime warranty. I have a VX1 4x12x40 on my Accura. Yes the wolf is a intro muzzleloader, but dont learn the hard way going too far budget wise on quality optics. You will regret the 50 bucks you saved when the buck of your dreams steps out in low light and you miss an opportunity. FWIW order a scope from Sportsmans Guide and use there no interest 4 pay. That has helped me buy many items in the past. Good hunting to you. TC

Is there a particular eye relief I should be looking for? No idea how much these things kick back.

That's a relatively light gun so I think a scope with an eye relief in the 3 1/2" or more range might be wanted.

I have a Vortex Crossfire ll sitting in the box it came in, it is the second after having to warranty the first one that was bad brand new out of the box, I won’t buy a low end Vortex for any gun ever again. Clarity isn’t great and poor low light are the 2 biggest reasons it isn’t sitting on any of my rifles currently, $180 sitting in it’s box.
I have the VX Freedom on my CVA Accura V2 and it is an excellent scope and worth every penny as it does everything very well, clarity, eye relief and low light are all excellent plus my rig has shot very well with this setup.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Nikons are a great scope, you don't need to spend a fortune on a scope. I think your scope will cost more than your rifle!
Nit Wit

Last couple guys i saw post about returning a Nikon scope for repair got vouchers for mechandise ONLY on Nikons website. So if your scope fails and they dont have a replacement laying around they are not going to repair it....I guess its not a big deal if you want to trade a scope for a camera.

Sportsmans Warehouse has sales on VX-Freedoms for $199 or less. Ive seen them for $189. Eye relief is good and the glass looks fine for a $200 scope. Over $50 and they ship free. No way i would buy a old stock scope off Ebay with all the fakes ive seen sold.
https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-...ld-vx-freedom-3-9x-40mm-rifle-scope/p/p230636

Last edited:
I have a vortex 4x12x50 on my wolf. It’s awesome. I won’t buy any other scope from now on. I fell in a creek and my body weight smashed my scope on a flat rock and actually bent it it was destroyed. I called vortex and told them what happened. They said sent it back it’s covered. 2 weeks later a brand new vortex showed up on my doorstep. Cant beat their no questions asked warranty. And it’s a very clear,accurate scope to boot. If I were you I’d go with the vortex

Back