Modifying a EGW Picatinny rail for a Wolf V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannhauser

Reaction score
I recently purchased a CVA wolf V2 muzzle loader. I purchased the version with iron sights but I also wanted to mount a low powered scope with QD rings.

I ordered the EGW Picatinny rail to use. When it arrived I test got the rail. I didn’t like how far forward the real extended because I didn’t need that extra real estate towards the front, but I did need some extra room towards the rear to mount the scope with proper eye relief.

Since CVA uses a symmetric bolt pattern, I reversed the rail. This was more to my liking, but the overhang was extreme.

B6D4FC20-6BD6-4D25-8A37-8C4296AEA89E.jpeg

I decided to cut fiend the rail to give better fit, and still provide more mounting space towards the breech.

I used a very give tooth saw, then files and finally ultra fine sandpaper. The result:

60C418FD-60B4-4229-B384-118C0FE6ACAC.jpeg

161E2433-3B83-446F-87C4-9DF75F98CACC.jpeg

It’s not 100% goat, but close enough. While it would be fully functional as-is, I hit the entire rail with flat black spray paint to finish it.

428DAA96-F4C1-4E3E-ACCC-D8454DE27994.jpeg

In the field:

21204A21-9C95-4AA9-98BA-F958D575DF15.jpeg

FC3EB9A0-F595-4F8A-A5B2-F76D85011901.jpeg

Thought I’d share this simple mod for a CVA rail. If your a person like me who skeays needs scopes pushed back farther to get proper eye relief, it makes a difference.

I recently purchased a CVA wolf V2 muzzle loader. I purchased the version with iron sights but I also wanted to mount a low powered scope with QD rings.

I ordered the EGW Picatinny rail to use. When it arrived I test got the rail. I didn’t like how far forward the real extended because I didn’t need that extra real estate towards the front, but I did need some extra room towards the rear to mount the scope with proper eye relief.

Since CVA uses a symmetric bolt pattern, I reversed the rail. This was more to my liking, but the overhang was extreme.

View attachment 24491

I decided to cut fiend the rail to give better fit, and still provide more mounting space towards the breech.

I used a very give tooth saw, then files and finally ultra fine sandpaper. The result:

View attachment 24492

View attachment 24493

It’s not 100% goat, but close enough. While it would be fully functional as-is, I hit the entire rail with flat black spray paint to finish it.

View attachment 24494

In the field:

View attachment 24495

View attachment 24496

Thought I’d share this simple mod for a CVA rail. If your a person like me who skeays needs scopes pushed back farther to get proper eye relief, it makes a difference.
Where can you get the screws for the scope mount and what size are they?

Latest posts

Back