Cva wolf scoped model / sighted model

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I did it I literally just did it. Ordered from Midway the stainless steel model with iron sights. She looks like a beauty.

sad thing is it'll be a while before I can actually take her out to have her fired. I'm not sure if the state-run muzzleloading ranges are open right now. but I'll totally be able to touch on it and admire it until I can actually shoot it.

I was hoping for somebody to have a Father's day sale but I couldn't wait anymore. then I heard stories about people buying them off at Walmart for like $79 bucks. Man that burns the Walmart in my area doesn't sell any type of that stuff. But it's not too bad I end up paying about $210 or so.

Now I need a thorough education and all items muzzleloader.

The first thing you'll want to do is clean the barrel. Real good. Until patches come out clean. These guns get shipped often with lots of extra gink in the barrel and you won't want to shoot the gun until after its been scrubbed out and patched clean. Often the barrel will appear to be clear of anything but run a patch thru it and the tale gets told.

Save yourself some headache and use bh 209, best decision I made .no swabbing between shots and cleans up in minutes. I've got the optima v2 lr ss nitride barrel.

The first thing you'll want to do is clean the barrel. Real good. Until patches come out clean.

Make sure to do this before its ever fired. Whatever it is they use will bake on like a rock if you dont and require way more effort to remove it later.

I believe Hanksprecisiongunparts has pic rails made out of 7075 for the cva's.

Well that is for a Scout. While the spacing is similar its not quite the same placement on the barrel due to the QRBP. Look how it will fit on the CVA MLs. Looks to me like an inch further forward than needed.
U8f4EFD.jpg

Not bad on the Scout
klOzz4I.png

Last edited:
So do you ever oil the barrel on one of these things.
Yes, you better use any good rust proof oil on stainless and especially blued finish guns, inside/outside during storage. Just use rubbing alcohol to wipe it out of the barrel, then wipe clean with dry patch, before putting any powder down. I still put oil on the nitride Optima V2 an (outside)black iced Whites, but its not needed.

Definitely going to clean it before I shoot. I have had some firearms in the past. I also have a collection of Hatsan break barrel rifles that are the same.

All the oil they use in the manufacturer and shipping. I once bought a mosin nagat that was just packed everywhere with GREASE not oil. I assume for long term storage. Now that was a job.

I want to try to use plain mineral oil like gun Smith's use. It's a cleaning oil. It unlike grease carries the dirt and grime away in the oil.

I certainly want to try the BH powder but another 30 bucks for a breach plug really sucks. I wish CVA offered it as an option. Rather than scope or ironsights being the only option. I also feel if you buy the scoped model you should also receive iron sights rather than choose.

However for $210 with no FFL bureaucracy fees I can't complain.

I thought the same thing about the breech plug but after some recommendations from here I bought it and went to bh209. No regrets at all . Well worth the price .

I used the scope mount that came with it I have had zero issues with it. I put temporary loc tite on the screws .I'm using 70g bh209 by weight ,(100g by vol.) hornady sst low drags 250g sabots and cci mag primers .chronograph 1965. I zeroed for 150 yards .

Attachments

• 20200613_145534.jpg
    20200613_145534.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I might have to just tough it out with pellets or whatever is available locally I don't want to pay hazmat fees.

If I use a 50 grain pellet. just one at 50 grains and I went with a lighter saboted projectile or .50 Diablo pellet shape projectile would that be possible? For target practice?

I want to see what type of powder is available here locally. Hopefully they have goex fff. That's all going to have to wait for phase 2. I still have a lot of stuff to buy. And so many questions.

Phase 2 involves buying that special breech plug that provides a better ignition for loose powder, a powderhorn, a measure probably a bench ramrod. Etc

Funny you say that I was just on muzzle-loader.com website. They seem to have an extensive inventory of supplies.
Feel like a kid in a candy store man I've got to watch that wallet.

You know especially now I've been buying all the toys that I want considering the corvid crap.

That includes 4 Hatsan air rifles, one BB rifle, two air pistols, a total of 6 scopes oh and a slingshot. The CVA was something I've been looking at for a while.

You know especially now I've been buying all the toys that I want considering the corvid crap.

That includes 4 Hatsan air rifles, one BB rifle, two air pistols, a total of 6 scopes oh and a slingshot. The CVA was something I've been looking at for a while.
Which slingshot did you buy?

I went with the Barnett Black widow. A friend on another forum hooked me up with some flat bands for steel shot and marble. It is so much nicer with the flat bands.
Do you think flat bands will handle lead balls. Don't want to go too far off topic.

Do you think flat bands will handle lead balls. Don't want to go too far off topic.

I am not that experienced but I can tell you that they absolutely do shoot Lead balls from slingshots. Particularly when hunting with slingshots.

It's all about having the right band and the right pouch for the right ammo that you're using.

you also have to keep in mind that most of these bands are custom-made to the individual based on their draw length.

I hear the simple shot scout is a very good slingshot for about $40.

Back